Berklee guitar degree

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
So my son alerted me to an ad where can get your guitar degree online through Berklee.

Does this sound scammish? Who gets a guitar degree? It's a music degree right?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Sometimes a music degree requires that the student major in a specific instrument, possibly with a specialty in a certain genre. My brother went to grad school with a guy who had majored in jazz guitar (therefore, he was in grad school getting something he could use. :)).

Colleges these days are using anything and everything to try to get students' tuition. Gone are the days that they only offer things that actually could be used in the "real world." If there's any sort of interest they can think of, colleges will offer it. It's all about supply and demand.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Well the guitar degree is a little different, Larry. Like there are classes in developing your ego and you have to be able to demonstrate convincingly that you believe you're the center of any musical situation you're in. It's hard work earning that degree, man.

dwsabianguy

Berklee's online courses are very good, if that's your thing. I went to the school itself, and the best part of being at a school like Berklee was the total immersion in the craft; you're surrounded by a few thousand people who are all better than you, and it makes you step up your game in a big way.

That said, is it an actual degree? It's probably just a certificate that says you completed X online instructional course. And then like a music degree it's up to you to leverage those skills into an actual job.

KamaK

Platinum Member
So my son alerted me to an ad where can get your guitar degree online through Berklee.

Does this sound scammish? Who gets a guitar degree? It's a music degree right?
This one?

It is exactly as much a scam as many other college degrees.

The scam works like this....
You give them money and work really hard without reward for a number of years.
In return, you receive a piece of paper with no actual value.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Well the guitar degree is a little different, Larry. Like there are classes in developing your ego and you have to be able to demonstrate convincingly that you believe you're the center of any musical situation you're in. It's hard work earning that degree, man.
Future employment scenario:

HR: Just got a resume from a guy with a guitar degree. It looks real promising.

MANAGER: Guitar players are sketchy. They can't stay on task, are always wandering around, and won't shut up. They are late half the time, and call in sick too much. You need to find me a drummer. They are happy to do the same thing over and over without complaint. They are always on time and come to work everyday. As a matter of fact, find me two and fire Bill while your at it.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
One of the best local musicians that I met studied music online from Berklee. If someone is looking to improve then an online school might be worthwhile.

Channing

It seems like something you could just teach yourself from books for very cheap vs paying thousands of dollars for formal instruction. I think a lot of degrees actually are like that. The degrees that are worth the money (in my opinion) are ones that qualify you for some kind of credential or to take a test to get a credential. Engineering or medical field comes to mind.

The guys who went to music school are playing at the same venues for the same pay as the self taught musicians, at least in my city, the only difference is the formally educated musicians have the debt to go with it.