Bent/Warped Cymbal: Anyone tried this???

Old Dog new Cans

I'm considering a used K. It has a bend in it. Not horrible or cracked. Obviously the damage in the video is not extensive.

Anyone tried this?

Peedy

That I would not do.

Edit - an important question would be, what kind of cymbal is it? HH? Ride? Etc.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm thinking nylon hammer and a soft but firm surface before I tried that.

Is it weird I like the sound it makes when it is popped inside out?

Old Dog new Cans

I'm thinking nylon hammer and a soft but firm surface before I tried that.

Is it weird I like the sound it makes when it is popped inside out?
It does not have that weird dead sound like they do when inverted. . .nylon hammer and what, a piece of wood?

Peedy its a 16" crash. It's a used K.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It does not have that weird dead sound like they do when inverted. . .nylon hammer and what, a piece of wood?

Piece of wood with a towel on top should be fine. Since a cymbal isn't flat, I'd use the towel on the wood to try not to flat spot it. The little bit of give the towel has should protect the curve, and keep the surface from getting any scratches or such.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

Or if you know anyone that works in an auto body shop, they have those pads/bags they use to work curves into metal without distorting the surrounding areas. That's might be a longshot though.

Peedy

A lot depends on what’s bent and where it is. I have some forms and anvils I use for metal work. Three are manufactured and I make my own out of hardwood to fit special needs. When I’ve done any cymbal work, I use rubber between the form and cymbal plus I use a rubber or plastic hammer.

If the cymbal is reasonably priced I say go for it. There’s gotta be a dozen folks here that can walk you through it. Plus a bend in a thin crash is only annoying when it doesn’t fit right in the bag.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Plus a bend in a thin crash is only annoying when it doesn’t fit right in the bag.
You are thankfully not as clumsy as I have been in the past. A perpendicular drop is all it takes. A little bend or warp on the edge can ruin the sound of the cymbal. Your anvil and hammer advice is spot on.

To the OP: it appears that you are looking to buy this bent cymbal. Is the price good enough to where, if it doesn't work out, you aren't losing much?

Mr Farkle

I can imagine that putting a nice stress crack right at the bell. And didn’t it still look bent? Maybe a little less.

I keep seeing a bent hi hat on eBay. It’s one that I’m looking for but I just assumed that it’s not fixable.

7985B16B-9C4F-420C-AD0F-0DBA382FF552.jpeg

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Take it to Guitar Center. They will give you top dollar (not) and sell it as Excellent Condition. :LOL:

Old Dog new Cans

You are thankfully not as clumsy as I have been in the past. A perpendicular drop is all it takes. A little bend or warp on the edge can ruin the sound of the cymbal. Your anvil and hammer advice is spot on.

To the OP: it appears that you are looking to buy this bent cymbal. Is the price good enough to where, if it doesn't work out, you aren't losing much?
I want a Zildjian K for sure, not willing to pay $300 or more for a cymbal right now. So yeah, I want to take a chance and buy it. It's definitely priced right. I am going to buy a hammer for this, probably a nylon as suggested above.

I appreciate the great responses everyone. Thanks

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've accidentally inverted cymbals, like in the video by stepping on them.
You can flip them back by turning it upside down and stepping on it again.
That won't remove a dent or bend in the cymbal though. It will just return it to its original shape.

For a dent, you'd have to hammer it out.
But I wouldn't expect to get it perfect - just close enough for rock and roll.

Old Dog new Cans

Sounds like a wise choice and instead of removing dents you can now experiment on cleaning off what remains of the logos. :D #newthread
LOL! Yes I guess so. When I used the Zildjian polish after picking up my vintage cymbals through winter--well, I wasn't impressed with the polish's job. Maybe I need to leave it on a bit longer. A couple of the cymbals were in the 50+year range though--not sure if that makes a huge difference?

Thanks for all of the posts. (y) :cool: