Bent Sweet Ride - How Much Would You Pay?

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Had a few minutes to waste the salesman's time today, so decided I'd browse around the GC cymbal room for a bit. I came across a badly-damaged 23" Zildjian A Sweet Ride with a price in the high $300 range. On one side there was a distinctive bent edge about 6inches wide that extended about 1.5" - 2" into the body of the cymbal. The bend was severe - I'd guess it bent down by almost 40 degrees.

I told the salesman that I'd like to make an offer on the damaged cymbal. "How much?" he said as he pulled the cymbal from the fixture.

I replied, "$90." The salesman thought I was joking, but when he found out that I was serious, he placed the cymbal back on the rack. He acted like I'd insulted him. "That's less than cost," he shot back at me. "Management won't even entertain offers that are less than cost."

I asked him how much he thought this cymbal would bring if it was offered for sale on ebay. After thinking a moment, he said, "Probably about $90. I see what you mean. But they won't take that."

No skin off my back. I don't need another cymbal anyway.

But, I wanted to get your opinion - how much do you think a damaged cymbal like that would be worth?

GeeDeeEmm

beatdat

Aside from playing it as is, what else can be done with it? Can it be modified or repaired? Just curious.

Either way, GC should've been happy to recoup their cost. Don't know if policy allows that, though.

Otto

Platinum Member
its likely to crack soon after getting into regular use.

I dont see it worth $90 dollars.

Dont think I would take it for free as I would then have to pay to dispose of it.

Might be fun to take it and try to modify it...but such micro-cracking as is needed to cause such a bend in a quality cymbal freq run vertically and could make any machine trimming worthless as the crack develops up to the bell.

I always think of good cymbals as crystalized metal...not like sheet metal....and make decisions accordingly.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I just got a cymbal at cost because of a ding in the edge.
It was from my regular shop that I have gone to for about 40 years tho.
GC is like the K Mart of music stores (IMO) and I doubt the employees have any power to make a decision to just move something with "damage" like that, even with it being such a slight chance someone would even want it.

I don't know that I would have even made an offer on the cymbal you described with a bend in it, but I did buy an OLD 24" A Zildjian with a pretty large and bad center hole (and I mean BAD) for $40 some years ago. I used super heavy duty industrial epoxy and put in as small a washer as I could. It's not pretty, but it fixed it, and with the lighter weight this cymbal has, I don't think it really changed the sound of the thing anyway! Not quite a trashy K sound,but it's not what someone these days would think of with an A Zildjian.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The thing is a salesperson at GC is not the owner of the cymbal. They have no power to price things as what they are worth. They are limited to what the computer system says it's worth.

As for what is it really worth, it's up to the eye of the beholder.
You say $90. Personally, I wouldn't pay anything for it.

Mustion

Wait--was it being sold as NEW? I know they're pretty stringent when it comes to what they sell used and that wouldn't pass muster but at the same time, insane they would sell it new otherwise.

So sad how gear gets really banged up in a GC showroom. The ones in NYC are basically a playground for destructive teenagers between 2-5pm, especially the drum room. Those salesmen have to be on a next level sort of zen.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I wouldn't have even made an offer. Around here, you can buy a pretty decent used ride cymbal for about $100-$120 on CL or Facebook Yardsale pages.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
This is that main reason I don't associate with Guitar Sucker or Sam Ass. IF you can find a drum guy at all, their knowledge of said drums is spotty at best.

Most times they act like they don't care and will do all they can to high ball you on gear that's not worth half of said price.
I just can't deal with that level of incompetence from people getting a paycheck.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I think they can send it back to the factory if it is new. I don't think businesses sell things that get damaged on the floor, think about it oops can I have this...

mikyok

Platinum Member
This is that main reason I don't associate with Guitar Sucker or Sam Ass. IF you can find a drum guy at all, their knowledge of said drums is spotty at best.

Most times they act like they don't care and will do all they can to high ball you on gear that's not worth half of said price.
I just can't deal with that level of incompetence from people getting a paycheck.
Bang on sir, same over here, only use the big stores for heads because they put the little stores who knew their shit out of business.

I don't understand how they survive, everything is on finance.