Benny Greb Meinl sand hats

I am in need of some new hats and a buddy of mine has been playing these hats and he recommended them to me.. So I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with these hats and what do you think? As far as what style am I playing, right now not much! LOL Life has been crazy to say the least and I've mostly been just playing at home with a few sessions here and there. I'm playing on an up coming gospel/worship record for a friend, and I typically play rock and funk. Anyways let me know what you guys think.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Your friend should lend them to you so you can get a good idea if you like them.

I have a set of them.
The top cymbal is thin and has an unlathed top, making it very dry and fairly low pitched.
The bottom cymbal is a normal style and very heavy. Lots of high pitch to it.
Between the two you get a full sound, but with not too much cut. It has a softer and less sparkly sound.

I don't think they blend well with other cymbals that aren't on the darker side.

Your friend should lend them to you so you can get a good idea if you like them.

I have a set of them.
The top cymbal is thin and has an unlathed top, making it very dry and fairly low pitched.
The bottom cymbal is a normal style and very heavy. Lots of high pitch to it.
Between the two you get a full sound, but with not too much cut. It has a softer and less sparkly sound.

I don't think they blend well with other cymbals that aren't on the darker side.
I would but he lives in California and I'm in Pa. We were just on the phone chatting about it. I am interested in it but one of my concerns was that they would be to dark.. I have also considered the zildjian k hybrid hats.

porter

Platinum Member
The K Hybrids are a decidedly more "normal" set of hats.

I actually have a video comparing the Sand hats and the Spectrum hats, which have a much more typical weight (200g heavier top cymbal). If the rest of your setup (or planned setup) is all A Customs, AAXes, or the like, I would warn you away from the Sand hats. However, they are quite a responsive and interesting instrument in the right context. Listen to some soundfiles and decide for yourself.

Cheungman

The K Hybrids are a decidedly more "normal" set of hats.

I actually have a video comparing the Sand hats and the Spectrum hats, which have a much more typical weight (200g heavier top cymbal). If the rest of your setup (or planned setup) is all A Customs, AAXes, or the like, I would warn you away from the Sand hats. However, they are quite a responsive and interesting instrument in the right context. Listen to some soundfiles and decide for yourself.
I swear porter, we have the same exact cymbals lol.