Benny Greb - Effective Practicing

blinky

I'm going to buy that book, need to step up the quality of my practice time. Thanks for the shoutout!

grundic

Also purchased, but only now realised that the book is still in print -- estimate shipping is early December.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I watched a Modern Drummer interview with Benny the other day where he touches on this very subject and mentions the book. I was really impressed by his lucid manner of explaining concepts as well as his depth of knowledge!

I may look into purchasing this book as well. I really need to anylyze my approach to practicing to improve my playing.

Vapor Trail

I received the following email 12/18/20 but have yet to get the book:

Good news! We shipped your order VELY-624083 and played a nice rhythm on the parcel.
You shall hear it soon. ;)

Kind regards,
your Benny Greb Shop Team

blinky

Interesting? Would you recommand it at this stage?
Well, depends what you're after, I have read quite a bit about effective practice and in the first half of the book there's really not much that's new to me. I can't speak for the rest of the book. But it's good nonetheless, and Benny has a way of explaining things in a clear and sometimes fun way.

Takelow

Well, depends what you're after, I have read quite a bit about effective practice and in the first half of the book there's really not much that's new to me. I can't speak for the rest of the book. But it's good nonetheless, and Benny has a way of explaining things in a clear and sometimes fun way.
Thank you for your answer. I will probably purchase it !

Old PIT Guy

Practicing effectively is mostly a learned experience unless you're not paying attention or don't care so much about how you practice. And some people just have a knack for zeroing in on something or sinking their teeth into something and not letting go until they're beyond it. Whether that's from drive or ambition or being anal, whatever.

And no one is going to tell me that established players don't stray from these 'best practice practices' scripts on a regular basis. I know they do. Another facet is how success begets success, which would go to the learned experience angle. Slow and clean wins the race, breaking things up into more digestible bits, improving your ears by learning to listen better, more practice sessions of less time rather than one or two hours-long sessions ... it's all pretty much been flogged to death.

I'm not saying a well written book won't contain something useful that you may not have considered, but (opinion warning!) I think much of the book world on how to practice to become exceptional is analogous to the exercise things you see in yard sales or garages a year or so after they're purchased. Best intent and all that.

They gave us Log books at PIT to manage our practice time. I still have 4-5 of them. All but the first 1/4th of the first one are blank, as were just about everyone else's log books I knew there at the time.

edit: I think if nothing else, recording yourself and listening is probably the #1 way to improve your playing, followed by, or equal to, feedback from a teacher.

Last edited: