Benny Greb demos new Meinls

Basswood

Re: Benny Greb demonstrates the 2014 Meinl cymbals

God, what a fantastic drummer. Thx for posting!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member

Great videos Henri, & of course, Benny draws the very best out of everything. Wonderful drummer on every level :)

My special interest here was to see how the Meinl capture of their Pure rides compared to ours. Ok, the drums in Meinl's video are processed, ours aren't, but the similarity in cymbal sound was close. We've used different' mic's, & the Meinl recording used low overheads, so that accounts for the sticking definition brightness between the two recordings. I must admit, I'm liking the Pure series very much.

Meinl capture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=077thdbI-co

Our capture http://youtu.be/XojpGAmH4NI?t=1m35s

porter

Platinum Member

Yeah, the Pures are a very unique line.

Even though they're processed, those Classics Custom crashes sound much better than I would have thought. The 20" jazz crashes sound amazing too.

WallyY

Platinum Member

My favorites are the 12" Extra Dry splash and the 15" Vintage Pure hats.

I can't tell any difference in sound between the Beech Infinite set he's playing and his normal SQ2 he plays in the Sand series video.

WhoIsTony?

watching and listening to Benny grace the instrument is like watching a fine painter at work while getting a back massage

thanks for posting

jornthedrummer

Silver Member

Awesome!

In my opnion no cymbal company can touch Meinl at the moment with regards to innovation and range of products.
Just the Byzance series alone offers almost everything, maybe except for the metal guys.

The new Pure line sounds great and there is nothing some satisfying that giving an extra dry crash a good smack -)

Duck Tape

Platinum Member

He could make anything sound good but I'm really digging the meinl stuff. They've really carved out a niche with those dry trashy sounds and everyone's getting sucked in (including me).

alparrott

Platinum Member

Tasty. I love how Meinl has really forced its way into the cymbal conversation with its constant exploration of new sounds. They're really going in some directions that the "big three" don't even seem to have on their map.

And it doesn't hurt to have someone like Benny playing them.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
My special interest here was to see how the Meinl capture of their Pure rides compared to ours. Ok, the drums in Meinl's video are processed, ours aren't, but the similarity in cymbal sound was close. We've used different' mic's, & the Meinl recording used low overheads, so that accounts for the sticking definition brightness between the two recordings.

Meinl capture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=077thdbI-co

Our capture http://youtu.be/XojpGAmH4NI?t=1m35s
Andy: Yes Meinl used lower overheads than you, but also, Benny uses much larger and heavier sticks with a fatter tip than Dave's sticks which contribute to the slightly better definition of the sticking patterns on the Meinl's video.

I must admit, I'm liking the Pure series very much.
Yeah, the Pures are a very unique line.
Yes, the Pure series are wonderful indeed and they look great as well, they're also my favorites in these videos.

Great videos Henri, & of course, Benny draws the very best out of everything. Wonderful drummer on every level :)
watching and listening to Benny grace the instrument is like watching a fine painter at work while getting a back massage
It's always an immense pleasure to watch and listen to Benny, he's so relaxed and in control and he has such a unique style and everything he does on the kit sounds so perfect, one of the most inspired and influential of the new generation of drummers and he's very gifted to share his knowledge and approach with the world's drumming community, all with a strong sense of humour :)

Tasty. I love how Meinl has really forced its way into the cymbal conversation with its constant exploration of new sounds. They're really going in some directions that the "big three" don't even seem to have on their map.

And it doesn't hurt to have someone like Benny playing them.
Yes, Meinl's R&D has been very busy lately, also Benny has worked closely with them a couple years ago to develop his signature series, but I agree, it doesn't hurt to have such a player to promote your products :)

radman

Thx for posting this ... the vintage pure light rides really caught my ear's attention (set 2).

I'm not sure if it was the cymbals or the playing (the first half of that video was a hoot ... I think he was having fun too).

I noticed the larger sticks - does he normally use them?

cheers,
radman

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I've kinda become a Meinl fan over the last couple years, and these vids def add to that. I might have to bite the bullet and go out and get some.

porter

Platinum Member
In my opnion no cymbal company can touch Meinl at the moment with regards to innovation and range of products.
Just the Byzance series alone offers almost everything, maybe except for the metal guys.
And that's where the Mb20 series comes in. Same amazing craft (also made in Turkey), just more aggressive. For the record, I'm using a Byzance Vintage crash and Dark Spectrum hats for metal right now! Matt Garstka, Matt Halpern, etc. all use primarily Byzance stuff too.

I noticed the larger sticks - does he normally use them?
I imagine they're his signature Promarks, which are .605 diameter IIRC. A bit heavier than a 5B.