Bell modification

I did a quick search but didn't really see a post asking the same question. Forgive me if I missed it.
I have an extra sabian alu bell lying around (I already have one on my kit) and I wanted to know if anyone had modified just a bell before. I was thinking of drilling holes just to give it a different sound but I figured I'd ask before I hurt whatever resale value it has.
So has anyone modified just a bell before and with what results?
Thanks.

I haven't personally modified a bell, so far I have only drilled a cymbal for rivets. I don't think the holes would make much of a difference. I'll bet it would hut the resale value a bit.. Why not try selling it and get a different cymbal?

I drilled a 12" ice bell to use as a bottom hat. The holes were for the same reason they put them in the fusion hat bottoms, no air-lock... I don't even know what that is, but it sounds scary!

the holes didn't really affect the sound. I'm guessing they have way more effect on thin cymbals. I've also drilled an old ZHT china, after I accidentally ran it over with my dad's truck... running it over and hammering it back into shape made it really stiff and it wouldn't really open up when hit, the holes helped a bit.

I wouldn't drill it, I'd see if you can trade for a bronze one. I have a bronze stage bell and alu bell on my kit, inverted on each of my two hi-hats.

if you have your heart set on modifying it, maybe try heating it and hitting it with a hammer to change the profile? make it lower and flatter, that should change the sound. (if you do that, and don't like it, it's not my fault though)

I haven't personally modified a bell, so far I have only drilled a cymbal for rivets. I don't think the holes would make much of a difference. I'll bet it would hut the resale value a bit.. Why not try selling it and get a different cymbal?

It fell into my lap a few days ago so I've just started to think what I've wanted to do with it. Modifying popped into my head so I figured I'd ask so I didn't hurt the resale value. Thanks for the quick reply.

Re: Bell modification
I drilled a 12" ice bell to use as a bottom hat. The holes were for the same reason they put them in the fusion hat bottoms, no air-lock... I don't even know what that is, but it sounds scary!

the holes didn't really affect the sound. I'm guessing they have way more effect on thin cymbals. I've also drilled an old ZHT china, after I accidentally ran it over with my dad's truck... running it over and hammering it back into shape made it really stiff and it wouldn't really open up when hit, the holes helped a bit.

I wouldn't drill it, I'd see if you can trade for a bronze one. I have a bronze stage bell and alu bell on my kit, inverted on each of my two hi-hats.

if you have your heart set on modifying it, maybe try heating it and hitting it with a hammer to change the profile? make it lower and flatter, that should change the sound. (if you do that, and don't like it, it's not my fault though)

Lol the china story was awesome. Thanks. I like the idea of trading it in. Thanks.

haha, yeah, we went up the mountain on my parents' property to film a music video, everything in the back of my dad's big dually truck (the kind where there's extra tires on the back, double width). coming back down the china stand fell over the side and went under the extended dually wheels

haha, yeah, we went up the mountain on my parents' property to film a music video, everything in the back of my dad's big dually truck (the kind where there's extra tires on the back, double width). coming back down the china stand fell over the side and went under the extended dually wheels

Ouch I can't even imagine how you felt when you realized you ran over your cymbal. At least you got a cool story out of it.

Back