Bell-less hi hat revelation

Ransan

In the post relating bad Sabian cymbals, I recently posted about my brand new AAX fast hats not sounding good. Now I have had the chance to look further, I found that my hi hat stand was not supportive of my bottom hat which doesn’t have a bell, has 3 air vents. The plastic rod sleeve was being lifted by my hat and rubbing on the lift rod, which could have been problematic if not seen as you know of keyholing.
I replaced the plastic with rubber sleeve and stacked two felts to compensate for the bell, secured the bottom hat.

I am happy about the results. It has a tight closed definition that sounds way better (not machine-like), very bright wash, and explosive chick almost like crashing two marching cymbals (feel that airy push effect if that makes sense). Before chick was mute-like.

Now long story to ask this: Do any of you own no belled hats, why did you select them, did you have a revelation like mine, was it just plug and play, and how do you like them?

Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member
I've got 3 sets .... all Sabian .... where either the bottom or top is bell less (of course, you can always flip them.

12" David Garibaldi Jam Master hats
12" VFX hats
13" EQ hats

Never had a problem with the hi hat stand, like you did. So out of the box, I've been very happy with all of them. Certainly, they all sound different, and not traditional (in the sense of Zildjian New Beats or Paiste 2002's).

The Jam Masters were the first set I got (in trade) ..... and I guess those motivated me to explore these types of hats further. I've got the full set of Sabian VFX's (with the exception if the distortion hats .... didn't like those). Wonderful cymbals, but certainly not for everyone. And the EQ's are cool for when you don't want a whole lot of volume. EQ's are vented on the belled cymbal (bottom), the other two would have the flat cymbal on the bottom, normal position, bell on top.

Ransan

Thanks Harry, I just went to YouTube to check the ones you have mentioned. The jam masters sound really nice. VFX were bright kinda harsh. EQs are interesting, I did like the warm sound they had when closed.
I also have a pair of AA “13 Fusion that are my main, they are seemingly louder than my 14” mentioned above; and, the way you describe EQ with 2 vents on the bell sounded like fusions - so I had to google more images.
I had no idea about the extra vents or edge “cut outs” for the EQ, that makes sense to volume suppressing.

harryconway

Platinum Member
VFX were bright kinda harsh.
VFX was developed with Tony Verderosa. He's a Hybrid (acoustic/electronic) drummer. So the whole VFX line is tailored for that particular ilk of Drum&Bass. And while I do a much different style of electronic music, the VFX line works well for me.