believe it or not , 2 different open mics

bertdrums

i happend to be at two open mics, sunday 6 oct 2019
one in the afternoon one in the evening. the afternoon was more progreesive with no guide lines just pick a tune and play, so i was asked what to play and i chose "mary had a little lamb", the players pulled out here tablets, looked it up and we played it for about 15 minutes.
Later that evening at a blues open mic, "my fault" i asked to play a song most people heard but didnt play themselves, "bad feeling" by Dave Meniketi of Y n T.. Surprising i was found resistance by people who only play their material and as a drummer i was told to hum it or produce the sheet music and play it on a guitar for them.....i told them all i wanted was the same consideration they gave other musicians as a drummer and i was laughed at . One person said they were sorry but still had no intention of playing the song, i had no one say that they understood , except one drummer.
What do you think

makinao

Silver Member
The afternoon guys are prepared. In the old days, at least one would have come with a fake/real book. Kids nowadays all have their own iPads filled with scores. And if they dont have a song, they can just google it. The evening guys are just lazy.

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
Later that evening at a blues open mic, "my fault" i asked to play a song most people heard but didnt play themselves, "bad feeling" by Dave Meniketi of Y n T..
I never heard that "song", anyway, I just listened to it at Youtube, and is a simple (rock) blues, wouldn´t be the same to you to play any blues at the same tempo? You could have say to them "I would like to play any straight blues at this tempo (making some kind of counting in front of them)".

YOUR TUNE:

It would be like for me wanting to play some "rhythm changes" tune, example, "Oleo", or picking another "rhythm changes" (because, say, they are not sure about the melody, or another specific) like "I¨ve got Rhythm" at the same tempo, at least from the stand point of drumming, or same thing with a (jazz) blues.

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
Surprising i was found resistance by people who only play their material and as a drummer i was told to hum it or produce the sheet music and play it on a guitar for them.....i told them all i wanted was the same consideration they gave other musicians as a drummer and i was laughed at . One person said they were sorry but still had no intention of playing the song, i had no one say that they understood , except one drummer.
What do you think
An open mic night is a show up and play anything off the cuff affair. If you need music or aren't open to new ideas then you shouldn't be allowed near the stage as it scares people off who will have a crack at anything.

What I find is that the guys that only play in their boundaries never play outside an open mic night because they can't get gigs so they massage their egos at jam nights and turn them into the *generic crap 12 bar blues shite* show and hog the stage and there really is nothing worse than crap blues jams, if you're in a rhythm section your job is basically to hold everything together whilst the guitarists fret wank (see can't get gigs). You're lucky if you get to play a shuffle.

Ultimately it's up to the person running the open mic to police it.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Moe had this really cool thing where he would poke out both eyes of Curly with 2 fingers.

That's what the guy laughing deserves.

brentcn

Platinum Member
You called a song that can't be found in real or fake books, and didn't have any way of helping them to play it or learn it quickly, such as a chord chart. On top of this, it's not just a blues. It's a blues in B minor, with some chord substitutions in measures 10 and 11. The feel is a slow 12/8, and there's a unison guitar/bass lick in measure 12. This song is a blues in the same way that a Harley is a bicycle.

Who's responsibility is it to provide the information about the obscure blues song that you chose?

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
You called a song that can't be found in real or fake books, and didn't have any way of helping them to play it or learn it quickly, such as a chord chart. On top of this, it's not just a blues. It's a blues in B minor, with some chord substitutions in measures 10 and 11. The feel is a slow 12/8, and there's a unison guitar/bass lick in measure 12. This song is a blues in the same way that a Harley is a bicycle.

Who's responsibility is it to provide the information about the obscure blues song that you chose?
I´m not sure if you are answering to me, i agree with your first line, and that is the main reason these guys didn´t want to play it, with the rest i do agree (and know it since I heard it), but what i wanted to say was that FOR HIM (the poster) it would have been the same to play (for displaying his abilities) any other blues at the same tempo, because from the drumming perspective nothing really changes but play the unisson, so he could have requested a blues, It has the same form, rhythm, and the substitution will not make any difference, you just don¨t play the unison.

And yes, if you want to play SUCH an specific tune should bring music sheets, but I suggest not to do that in jams (many do, but is to me the wrong enviroment for doing that), instead the best is that most agree on something in common on stage. You have to train to be able to adapt to what most want to play (or you, or anyone else, can leave the stage in a friendly way and let someone else play, it´s always alright), but in a jam, and of that kind, I imagine is like a Loterie, hahah It is a bad enviroment alltogether in my oppinion, but some have no other choice for playing some...

I don´t agree with your analogy of the Harley and a bicycle, you should have compare it with another motorcicle just a bit less soffisticated, but still a motorcycle,..

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I've never done an open mic-after reading this I don't think I want to. So open mic isn't like a jam band/jazz environment where everyone starts with some root thing and then let the music lead?? I love jam bands-much the same as jazz improv because it's "in ipso momento" conceived before your eyes-like watching a baby being born. Like being there the three nights at the Fillmore East watching the Allman brothers when their live album was recorded, or any great live jazz recording. Damn musicians can take all the fun out of it sometimes. I just want to have fun and make entertainment-and doing the later gives me the former (it's not to late for my dream of being a Standup comedian so it's sort of like having a second instrument lol). What's funny is I think I have a terrible voice but my wife thinks I sing best LOL. Love truly is blind-and deaf too. I find this disappointing cause I'm getting the urge to play again with people-instead of playing with myself-and I thought open mic a great venue to start meeting local musicians and what not. I miss playing with other people there is no interaction with a recording-so I'm just playing with myself. I don't want to go bald or anything LOL.

Last edited:

brentcn

Platinum Member
I´m not sure if you are answering to me, i agree with your first line, and that is the main reason these guys didn´t want to play it, with the rest i do agree (and know it since I heard it), but what i wanted to say was that FOR HIM (the poster) it would have been the same to play (for displaying his abilities) any other blues at the same tempo, because from the drumming perspective nothing really changes but play the unisson, so he could have requested a blues, It has the same form, rhythm, and the substitution will not make any difference, you just don¨t play the unison.

And yes, if you want to play SUCH an specific tune should bring music sheets, but I suggest not to do that in jams (many do, but is to me the wrong enviroment for doing that), instead the best is that most agree on something in common on stage. You have to train to be able to adapt to what most want to play (or you, or anyone else, can leave the stage in a friendly way and let someone else play, it´s always alright), but in a jam, and of that kind, I imagine is like a Loterie, hahah It is a bad enviroment alltogether in my oppinion, but some have no other choice for playing some...

You are wrong with your analogy of the Harley and a bicicle, you should have compare it with another motorcicle just a bit less soffisticated, but still a motorcicle,..
I was adressing bertdrums.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
The guys at my local jam session have trouble playing 12 bar blues. They can play it, but it might have 11 1/2 bars, or 13 bars, and soon they are completely out of sync with each other, playing different chords, maybe different keys. At a jam session you have to pick songs that people know well. And somebody has to know the words well enough to sing it. Jam sessions in my town are really bad. I had to leave the stage, sit at the back of the bar to get away from the noise.

trickg

Silver Member
Every open mic thing I've seen has maybe 1-2 decent acts with a whole lot of crap in between - basically a performance opportunity for people who otherwise can't or won't find a real paying gig somewhere.

One thing about open-mic things I do admire though is the level of passion and dedication the people have toward their craft. Regardless of whether or not they are actually good, most are pouring their souls into it in a way that I haven't in a long long time - at this point, music for me is a payday, and I really don't go out and play unless there's money attached to it, especially when it's something I do with the trumpet. One day I'd like to get back to a place to where I play music for the music itself.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I've never done an open mic-after reading this I don't think I want to. So open mic isn't like a jam band/jazz environment where everyone starts with some root thing and then let the music lead?? I love jam bands-much the same as jazz improv because it's "in ipso momento" conceived before your eyes-like watching a baby being born. Like being there the three nights at the Fillmore East watching the Allman brothers when their live album was recorded, or any great live jazz recording. Damn musicians can take all the fun out of it sometimes. I just want to have fun and make entertainment-and doing the later gives me the former (it's not to late for my dream of being a Standup comedian so it's sort of like having a second instrument lol). What's funny is I think I have a terrible voice but my wife thinks I sing best LOL. Love truly is blind-and deaf too. I find this disappointing cause I'm getting the urge to play again with people-instead of playing with myself-and I thought open mic a great venue to start meeting local musicians and what not. I miss playing with other people there is no interaction with a recording-so I'm just playing with myself. I don't want to go bald or anything LOL.
Open mic jams can range from very good to not so good. You need to get out and find a good jam. Be prepared to be disappointed but keep trying. Go to the same jam several times until you are sure its a good or bad jam.

I run an open mic jam every week. I try to make sure that there are several players on stage that know what they are doing. The not so good players get mixed in with the good players. This helps provide a good experience for everybody. Open mic jams are good places to share the love of music and the love of making music. It is also a great place to connect with the music community in your area.

About six years ago I was not playing drums at all. I started going to jams. Now I play in two bands. And, I play with four other bands when their drummers can't do the gig.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Open mic jams can range from very good to not so good. You need to get out and find a good jam. Be prepared to be disappointed but keep trying. Go to the same jam several times until you are sure its a good or bad jam.

I run an open mic jam every week. I try to make sure that there are several players on stage that know what they are doing. The not so good players get mixed in with the good players. This helps provide a good experience for everybody. Open mic jams are good places to share the love of music and the love of making music. It is also a great place to connect with the music community in your area.

About six years ago I was not playing drums at all. I started going to jams. Now I play in two bands. And, I play with four other bands when their drummers can't do the gig.

Thanks so much Hollywood Jim-this is what I was hoping-a mix of good and bad (just like me LOL) and connecting to other musicians to hopefully get gigging again. Thanks again!

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
Thats very nice played..

Has there been more recorded from this..?
Thanks!

Yes, I played two songs that night (in Chile, never played with all these guys, before or after), as you see each tune last forever (3 trumpets, 3 saxophones, guitar, piano, bass, etc.) until all played their solos, haha! (and that was fragmented, I think the other too,,,)