Being Picky

I m a little picky when it comes to what style of music I play and with whom I share the stage with...Is this ok for artists, being a little picky with the kind of players you associate with and playing for music you enjoy...I mean, I always like to play with guys who bring a warm feeling, the kind of feeling that these guys r real, that they love what they re doing, without judgment and slighting amongst each other?? anything you may like to add?

mrchattr

Gold Member
I think it all depends on what your goals are. I have often shared the stage with less experienced cats, because I know it helps them out to have a really solid drummer. Also, as a guy who makes a living off this, I have no issue getting paid a couple hundred bucks to spend an hour or two on stage with an artist I don't love, but who is talented. Some of the most lucrative shows I've played have been filled with music I didn't like. With that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with being picky, especially if you only have a limited time to drum.

sqadan

I'm pretty picky myself... If I'm not playing the kind of music I enjoy - then I'm not really sure what the point is.

My standard when it comes to bands / other musicians is "would I listen to this music if I was not in the band?" If the answer is yes - then generally it's a good situation for me.

I also feel that life is too short to play with people you don't like / don't get along with... as I get older, I'm much more inclined to play with folks I've been in bands with before whom I know are talented and easy to get along with. I also prefer people who take playing live seriously and make every attempt to put on a good show regardless of the venue or crowd.

This philosophy means I may not work as much as the next guy - but when I am working / playing... I really love it.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Like MrChattr said, I think it all depends on what your goals are and why you got into drums.

Some people are in it only for the art, and will only play in situations that satisfy their artistic goals. Session and freelance drummers tend to be less picky about whom or where, as long as the pay is right. And I'd think most people fall somewhere in-between the two points of view.

My point of view has certainly shifted back and forth over time, depending on where I was in life.

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
In my early years 11 and 12 years old I did it because I loved it. Then I discovered girls and did it to get the girls, which worked out quite well as a matter of fact. Then in order to stay in bands and keep the girls I had to practice hard. The more I practiced the better I got and had more confidence. And I could sort of choose who I played music with.

Now years later I still am a bit picky, but only in mental notes filed away. I'l jam and share a stage with anyone, but really prefer to cats I know well and / or respect. There are a few cats I don't know really well but play fantastic and they seem down to earth and very real, honest people. Those guys are very open and approachable and very willing to share their knowledge and offer constructive critisizm. Those are the people I admire most in music. I may not be the best and never will be, but I'm willing to learn and ask questions and be humble about it. They way I figure, you can never know it all, there is always something else to learn.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I've always been on the art side of the spectrum since I'm not trying to make my living from drumming. I have a day job which allows me the luxury of being picky and only playing the kind of music that I like and find interesting.

For me drumming has to be fun. It's not enough for me to just be playing my instrument - unless I'm playing by myself, which I would take over playing music not to my liking any day.

I was playing with some old friends a while back who's music I didn't like. That was hell for me, so I quit. On to the next thing. I've also played with people who's music I did like, but who were so set on dictating what the drum parts should be that I walked away from those, too. It's not very fun for me to have my parts micro-managed (not that I mind the input, and I'll try anything, but the decision has to rest with me - if I came up with something I like better, that's what I'm going to use).

It can be hard to find, but it's worth it to find people who play music that I like and who appreciate what I bring to the table - and that trust that I'll find something cool and complimentary to go with the music.

Mastercast

I always have worked and played what I like. Now the group I'm in wants to add more blues for marketing; as there are more blues clubs here than rock. I like blues but a straight blues diet would make me ill. "I wanna Rock!"

mrchattr

Gold Member
For me drumming has to be fun. It's not enough for me to just be playing my instrument - unless I'm playing by myself, which I would take over playing music not to my liking any day.
I guess that's one way I'm lucky. I have fun drumming even when I don't like the music that is going on at the same time. As long as I am playing freely behind a kit, I'm happy. There's still a part of me that is in wonder every time I play, regardless of how many hundreds of gigs I've played in the last few years.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i'm not terribly picky about what kind of music i'm playing because i like all kinds of music, but i agree with you that i prefer to play with people who bring a good vibe and are dedicated musicians who don't "slight" each other as you say. i sure wouldn't want to play with a bunch of jerks, no matter what kind of music it is. i'm in it for the fun of playing and if the people aren't cool or the situation isn't fun anymore, then i'm out! i'm even like that about my day job. if i don't enjoy my work situation then i start looking.

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I don't mind taking imput from others, but let me decide the final outcome. I'll usually try what is suggested, but don't "micro-manage" me to the point of dictating exactly what I have to play. If that happens, and it has on occasion, I'll walk away and not think twice about it.

One bass guitarist even demanded that I don't need my floor tom and can't take it to gigs simply because I wasn't using it much the only time we jammed together. That was the first and last time I jammed with those cats.