Being offered a position you don't really want, but could be an experience?

bearblastbeats

I was emailed earlier by a guitarist from this Sludge/Doom band named Grief. He and fellow band mates formed a new band called "Come to Grief" named after Grief's century media release in 1994. Which I guess is a big metal record label.

His message said "We're playing a full set of Grief songs, and working on new material as well. We're called "Come to Grief" after the 1994 Century Media release. Basically all we're waiting for now is a drummer who is committed to this project so we can start playing shows, but we do have one show booked for August in Oakland so by all means, we're trying like hell to fill the vacant drum slot before then so we can make sure that can happen! But like I said, besides that we're hoping to get out and start playing shows as soon as possible, long before August, and we're about read to, we just need a drummer. Our set will primarily consist of songs from Dismal and Come to Grief, but has a couple more from later on in the Grief discography as well. Anyway, if you think this is something you're interested in being a part of, get back at me asap and we'll take it from there. Below, I'll list links to the songs we're currently working on. There are also a few more on deck to get to work on, too, but this is what we're on right now."

I replied that I couldn't make the commitment of touring because I have a full time engineering job.

so he replied with "Bummer man. Sounds like you would've been a good fit. Just to clarify, we don't have any actual touring plans in the forceable future. The show in August is a one off gig, that we're co-headlining; they're flying us out for that, so it's no money out of our pockets. At most, we might (might) play a couple shows on either end of that Oakland date, but as of yet, nothing other than "possibly" has been addressed. But besides that, as it stands right now, collectively none of us have the ability for tours, or anything other than local shows within the New England area. We certainly want to play shows, but as it stands right now, we've got one week in August that all of us are able to travel to play due to various job, family, or any other commitments."

here is a link to a song of there's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbgg_9YUZs&authuser=0

To be honest, its not entirely the music I like to play. I'm currently doing a more progressive alt rock band now and even though we dont play out often, it gives me satisfaction.

Should I email them back asking what their guarantees are? Or kindly decline all together?

Just to be the artist with a capital 'A' that I am, I'd at least check it out. The commitment thing is always wonky because they're talking about August, and we're in March. Anything could happen before then, and probably will. I'd say yes, and see how hard they're really working on this project. If I really liked them I'd stick it out and see where it goes. If it doesn't work out, it's not like they couldn't find another guy to play their music in a short amount of time.

It's always weird when people talk about commitment to the band - if you really wanted my commitment, then put me on retainer and pay me so much a month for being there, eh?

Two things stood out reading this post. Committed to the project, and a position (I) you really don't want. You really don't like the music, so in my best advisory mind I would say don't bother. They lose time and you lose time, when they could be looking for someone who can committ.

Bo Eder kinda nailed it with the whole "retainer" thing. But on the other side of that is that "one thing leads to another" in a sense that you may open some doors that you thought would not open for you.

This is a really weird business, this music thing.

There's a sub genre of music now called Sludge?

How appealing lol. What's next, bloody pus?

Man, that stuff is really slow. I saw the oakland thing and love me some sludge so almost had an idea of ringing them, but that's just too sludgy even for me. I'd need to break that up with some faster stuff.

I didn't even see what they were calling this music. Sludge? It sounds interesting. Who are the big name artists playing Sludge Metal? I'd like to check that out. Is it like slow Meshuggah? Or super-slow Nile? That would mean it dips out at 120 bpm? Just kidding. Really though, who are the name purveyors of said genre? It could be metal I might be able to play ;)

Sludge, doom, what have you. It's really slow kinda metal type stuff. Heavy distortion, super low BPMs. May or may not include cookie monster singing.

Sludge, doom, what have you. It's really slow kinda metal type stuff. Heavy distortion, super low BPMs. May or may not include cookie monster singing.

I checked it out online, interesting. It's a lot like Black Sabbath playing even slower. Maybe that's why I liked it a little more than the newer metals floating around ;)

A guy like me could actually play that stuff with a single bass drum ;)

I gave that song a listen.

If ever there was a song crying out for some chimes (OK, and some tasteful gong application), this has to be it!

I weighed out my options and talked to the guys.

At their age, they have families and jobs so touring would be a once a year thing a week or two at most..

I can get behind that.

They are headlining that fest in August, so if it goes well I can get my rock stardom out of the way before I'm 30.

If it doesn't interfere with my job and my current band then what's the big deal right?

I'll just add this. My son is in a music conservatory. One thing they are taught and preached at constantly, don't say NO when offered a playing opportunity. If you are able to do it, look at it as a job and take it. It may open other avenues for you as Billy Ray pointed out earlier. My own kid was in a Bassoon Rock Band of all things. He played on tv on the local newscast with them. All because he didn't say no.

At their age, they have families and jobs so touring would be a once a year thing a week or two at most..

I can get behind that.

They are headlining that fest in August, so if it goes well I can get my rock stardom out of the way before I'm 30.

If it doesn't interfere with my job and my current band then what's the big deal right?

There you go. You're at least checking it out more and it's looking positive! One of the Sludge bands I looked up on YouTube (Iron Monkey), their drummer only played a four-piece. I'm liking this genre more and more ;)

Really though, who are the name purveyors of said genre? It could be metal I might be able to play ;)

Acid Bath, Crowbar, Down, EyeHateGod, etc.

Then you could get crazy and get into sub genres like Stoner Sludge (ie Bongzilla, Electric Wizard, Torche, Weedeater) and even my favorite, KYLESA.

Another neat band to check out is called Baroness, which is like sludge/Progressive Metal. They have a lot of solo type shredding guitar parts.

If you want to check out a more Sludge/Drone band, your best bet is to listen to Boris. Most of their older stuff summarizes the genre pretty well.

Last edited:
Who doesn't like BONGRIPPER!!!?

Reptilian mindlessness, it doe's change your consciousness tho. You don't listen to it, it slowly unfolds in lower specters (sludge) of your mind.

I can get behind that.

I haven't read any posts past this, but GOOD FOR YOU! I was going to suggest you check it out and if it's cool, go for it!

My motto has always been to try as much stuff as possible, within reason of course. Heck, my main instrument is guitar forever and I only switched to drums a few years ago. I'm loving it.

That song sucked. I'm sure doom has come a long way since 1994, that band hasn't.

Imagine listening and charting their back catalogue, that would be some kinda hell for me.

Back