Beginning drums

Wraggem

So I recently became interested in starting to learn how to play drums, I haven't got the slightest clue about anything music related, I'm fourteen years old, I was just wondering about the difficulty of drums, if there is particular types of drums which are different to learn as I'm into pop punk, and if fourteen is a bit late to start learning?

So I recently became interested in starting to learn how to play drums, I haven't got the slightest clue about anything music related, I'm fourteen years old, I was just wondering about the difficulty of drums, if there is particular types of drums which are different to learn as I'm into pop punk, and if fourteen is a bit late to start learning?

Good for you, as far as 14 being too late, its not. You can learn at any age really. just be realistic in your goals at first so you don't get frustrated and give up. as far as difficulty that pertains to each individual drummer. some can play right away, some cant and need more time. if you can, find a teacher with a kit and see if you like it.

It is never too late to start playing drums. Especially if you enjoy it.

Find a drum teacher. At least for a few lessons. This will start you out in the right direction.

Buy a drum pad and a pair of sticks. Put your head phones on with your favorite songs and tap out the rhythm while you listen.
You will soon discover if you want to be a drummer.

You might want to buy a cheap set of electronic drums. They are good to learn on and they won't disturb the neighbors and your family.

Hi, Wraggem.

14 is definitely not too late to start playing. I started at 16 and many will have started at a similar age or later.

There are numerous different styles of music and this is also reflected in drums. For example rock drumming will take a different approach to jazz drumming. Other styles too will have their own individual traits that make them what they are.

I'd advise to start searching out a good teacher in your local area. He/she will give you a structure to follow and correct any mistakes you have in your technique that you may develop, stopping any bad habits.

Best of luck!

you're not too old, quite young actually.

Buy a pair of sticks and a practice pad, watch this beginner video-series:
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/wessels_beginner-lessons.php

That might not be the most fun lessons to do but if you go through with it, learning the fun stuff(beats and fills) will go MUCH quicker.

You should also take a live lesson and see how you like it.

Drums feels easy in the beginning, learning your first beats will go quick. You will be able to play a long to AC/DC rock songs after a couple of months.
Drums get really hard after the basics in my experience. So a very steep learning curve at start and then you will have to practice a lot to see any improvement. The way and what you practice will be important as well. A lot of drummers without teachers doesn't learn the rudiments and that slow down their progress loads (myself for example).

congrats on your decision. My best advice...get a teacher and a good practice pad....this will get you started nicely. And just remember to have fun :)

As for being too old...definitely not! I started at age 43! Just think where I'd be now if I had started at 14!

Good luck and Happy Drumming!

Thanks everyone, I think drums would suit me best out of all instruments, but I've never played a musical instrument at all, I've no idea where to start

This isn't going to be as fun as laying down a fat backbeat, but my advice would be to get a pad and metronome and learn your rudiments. Because the bigger your vocabulary is, the more words you can use. And the more words you can use, the more effective your statements will be.

Also, consider picking up a copy of Stick Control.

Mike

All you need is the kitchen table to decide if you like drumming. See if you have any knack for getting your hands and feet going in time with a song.

Assuming you do, invest in some moderately-priced used drums.

With all due respect to the rudiments, play a lot of what makes you happy. If you are a sincere drummer, you'll come back to the rudiments out of either necessity or desire.

A drum teacher would be awesome, but they are expensive. Rudiments are awesome, but they can be boring if you don't see them for the challenge they are.

The most important thing is to enjoy it. If you have decent timing, you can get going and have some fun, and let the technical stuff come as it may.

Just my humble opinion. Too many people say you need to do this or that. You really don't. It depends on what you want. ;)

I hope 14 isn't too old, because I'm 44 and expecting my first drum set for Christmas. I've been playing hand drums for about a year, but I've never played a full drum kit. I don't ever expect to perform for anyone except my wife and four dogs. I just find drumming to be a great stress reducer. I can't imagine I'll be great at it, but I'd like to hammer along to the music of my younger years: The Smiths, The Cure, Counting Crows, Pearl Jam, AC/DC, etc.

Last edited:
i'm also hoping 14 isn't too old. i am 50 and i still haven't started. 2 years with a practice pad and stick control. just ordered a proper snare (pork pie squealer). still trying to decide on a kit. e drums or acoustic. i am even thinking about just a snare and a hi hat to begin with.
i am really a guitarist and i still suck on guitar even after 30 years but i have been in several bands and done loads and loads of gigs, met and played with some amazing musicians, had too much fun to be legal and found spiritual solace in times of need with just a few chords and a plectrum.
it's never too late to learn anything but as with most things that are fun you will wish you had started earlier.
just do it...drums, guitar, didgeridoo it doesn't matter. everybody sucks to begin with but there is something special about music and being one of those that know how to do it.
once you start you will discover very quickly if it's your thing and you will find your path.

Fourteen is probably actually on the early side of starting drums. Many famous drummers started around that age or slightly later. I personally started at a very young age (six or seven or something) but a lot of those early years were a waste of time because I wasn't taking lessons and wasn't really too serious about it. In fact I didn't get serious about it until I was 18.

I'll echo some previous statements and say that a teacher will make the learning process much faster. If you can't get a good teacher, Youtube is a good substitute. Have fun!

its never too late to play drums!

your at a good age to learn too!

i learned to play abit at 16...moved to an apartment and sealed them away for 9 years. i moved into a house again a few years back, set them up and been playing since. im 28 now

I started at 14-15. I can't quite remember.
I started with just a very beginner DB kit which I now want to get rid of. if you are serious rather get a good second hand one with decent cymbals.
I highly recommend getting a teacher asap so you don't teach yourself wrong techniques and so there is another set of ears in the room.

Back