Beginning drumming...were you supported or not supported

NouveauCliche

My parents were supportive of music - not drums. I had piano lessons, marimba lessons, I played saxophone for most of high school but drums were a constant fight.

Then one day they flipped they switch on that and got me that big ol' single headed slingerland kit haha.

So I guess 50/50.

C.M. Jones

I'm fortunate in that my parental support was absolute. My dad was a classical pianist and a proponent of all things musical. Initially, he attempted to steer me in the melodic-instrument direction, but when my interest in drumming emerged, no conflicts accompanied it. My lessons and equipment were funded throughout. Everything I've done in relation to drumming has been reinforced and assisted, also by my wife. Not everyone has had my good fortune, and I don't overlook the advantages I've enjoyed. Fate has been ruthless to many.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I expressed interest in drums at an early age. My dad bought me some (they stayed at his moms house), and that was it. Only drums and a snare stand. No cymbals, no kick pedal, no throne. He wanted me to play sports, and I'm pretty sure the drums were just to shut me up. I tried to play them but had no direction and no one would support me playing drums. At xmas I got some hi hats and a kick pedal, and a "there you go, now leave me alone" attitude. I was not allowed to take them to my moms house because he was worried my step brother would want to play them. Eventually the drum heads got slashed in a burglary. I was told they were broken and in the closet they went. This was all within a years time.

At 15 I bought myself a new set. It lived at my moms house. She figured as long as I was playing drums I wasnt out getting into trouble.

It was my moms mom who took an interest in supporting my drumming and gave me lessons.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I declared my love for the drums when I was nine. My dad borrowed an acoustic guitar from one of his friends and gave me lessons at the local music store. I held fast. After four lessons I bought my own sticks & pad (the cheap wooden kind with the black rubber glued on) at that shop and dug in. I was told if I “got good” on the pad, my divorced parents would both chip in for a drum set.

I “got good” at a single stroke roll and eventually a pawnshop special (Slingerland bass & tom, Taiwanese COS snare) appeared under the Christmas tree.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Curious. I got support in that I was given a drumset.

After that? Not so much. My Dad told me it was the biggest mistake he ever made, buying me drums.

People should accept their children how they are, not what they are wanted to be.
This was pretty much my story. I wasn't discouraged, and my family if possible, made it to my school band/orchestra functions but no one was asking how I was doing or any of that.

yammyfan

My parents tolerated a drum kit in the basement that I played when they weren't home but that was the extent of it. I marvel at how far I've come on my own and wonder what even a few lessons could have done for me. I think I could have gone pro with a little encouragement.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
My parents were supportive, although I initially took accordion lessons. 😮 But moving to drums was simple enough, I inherited my brother's drums so there was no expense involved. And the noise of practicing was never an issue, or at least it wasn't made known to me. About 4 years after I got those drums, they bought me a new kit: a 5-pc Ludwig Standard with Ludwig Paiste cymbals included. List price: $532, but they got a deal through a friend who owned a music store - $346. That was at a time when stores typically didn't discount things, but it was still a lot of money. After that I was on my own for gear. :)

I know they were both very proud that I was able to enjoy a career in music.

specgrade

My father played the guitar, steel guitar and ukulele. My mother played the piano. My sister plays the flute. I started out on the trombone (one year). My mother bought me my first pair of sticks. My father and mother bought me my first drum set and after five years, my second drum set. They were very supportive in my musical up bringing.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Parents being supportive can be interpreted differently. As a child my parents were very, very supportive-maybe to much so. Music wise both very supportive. You know Larry "People should accept their children how they are, not what they are wanted to be.". Man no truer a statement ever made and applies to me. I was so different than either of my older brothers and Dad just didn't get me at all (and since my bros and I went to same schools my teachers discovered the same)-nor I him to be honest. I always thought he hated me (I realize now he did things with good intentions-but so the road to hell is paved). We fought over it-literally when I was younger but I thanked him as a grown man because though I still hate some he pushed a bunch I grew to love. I wish he hadn't pushed so hard with some things because I became resistant for the sake of resistance. My own stupidity. I never felt I could fill his shoes-so I admired him greatly despite my youthful rebellion. It all ended well. I tried to expose my kids like my parents did to dance, music, sports, etc. but I didn't push as much-now I wonder if I was wrong and maybe should have pushed harder. Funny how things lcan work out.

cbphoto

Gold Member
My Dad told me it was the biggest mistake he ever made, buying me drums.
My dad never knew what “Rock band” was like because my band’s rehearsals were never at his home.

Until one day I invited the crew over (band + girlfriends + friends & neighbors) ‘cuz the next gig was near my father’s home. We were in the peak guitar solo of Whipping Post when he came in through the door. I’ve never seen his eye pop & mouth drop like that. It “wasn’t funny” for years, but it always makes me laugh.

He was grateful our rehearsals were not a regular event at his house.