Beginner trouble with kick drum.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
And the stalemate is all the worse if the unvarying beat is executed with poor form. Breaking bad habits is a lot harder than starting from scratch with good technique. "Fun" early on can lead to a lot of trouble down the line. Also, "fun" gets boring if it prevents you from making progress.

"Really knowing the basics is the only real tool of long term motivation."

We need more instructors who share your philosophy.

Not many do, which why I do what I do in my spare time.

You don't learn this at university or from gigging, though that's absolutely needed base knowledge and experience. You just have to really care, really want it and challenge yourself hopefully forever, but at least until you start seeing the light a little bit. It is just common sense, but not without the perspective.

Though some of my leaders don't really like me, or feel threatened by me, there have been very few students I eventually wasn't able to get through to. If they have the ability to appreciate mastering something
And the stalemate is all the worse if the unvarying beat is executed with poor form. Breaking bad habits is a lot harder than starting from scratch with good technique. "Fun" early on can lead to a lot of trouble down the line. Also, "fun" gets boring if it prevents you from making progress.

"Really knowing the basics is the only real tool of long term motivation."

We need more instructors who share your philosophy.

It can be done. There are two main tricks.

1) Patience with the student that's never had the opportunity to learn different.
2) Ignore your boss, who will never know different.

Last edited: