Beginner in need of suggestions for an electronic kit.

DCFan11

Hi, all. Just a beginner who has decided to get an electronic kit. I think I kind of have narrowed down what I want. I'm probably want a word of advice on brands more than anything else but here is what I'm looking for (if possible):

Definitely a "best bang for your buck" type of thing. Definitely prefer to keep the price range south of 1000 if possible. Do you really need to spend north of a grand to get a decent kit? Definitely need a hi-hat, two crashes and a ride. Hopefully a solid amount of a different effects and sensors for the cymbals and toms. Definitely want a hi hat and bass drum pedal, with the option of being able to connect a second bass drum pedal later on, if possible. Obviously would like a decent amount of options for playing different styles/effects and last but not least recording capability.

Is this possible for this price range? As far as brands go, what does everyone think about Alesis? I know I can definitely get the four cymbal setup I'm looking for with recording ability with this brand for under a thousand but I'm not sure exactly how comprehensive it is.

This is essentially what I have in mind:

Any thoughts? Lastly, would I be correct in assuming the most, if not all of these kits are set up to accommodate whatever side you play from? I'm ambidextrous but play better with a left handed setup.

Thanks for any advice!

electrodrummer

1. Budget. 1000 whats????
2. What have you actually tried?
3. Brands. Yamaha and Roland good. Alesis, "OK", but less long term reliability from my experience [1].
4. Rest of your specs, OK, not a problem.
5. Left handed? No worries.
6. Consider 2nd hand. Get much more for your money.

[1] I've got stuff from everyone over decades of edrumming. My Alesis stuff has had the most fails, followed by Alternate Mode. Yamaha has been been the most reliable.

electrodrummer

1. What currency? It's a jolly big planet out here with a lot of different currencies. 1000 Rupees? 1000 US Dollars? 1000 Canadian Dollars? £1000 ? :)
2. You need to test drive some stuff. Get an idea what YOU like the feel of. Roland mesh / Yamaha silicone / Alesis mesh, etc.

DCFan11

1. What currency? It's a jolly big planet out here with a lot of different currencies. 1000 Rupees? 1000 US Dollars? 1000 Canadian Dollars? £1000 ? :)
2. You need to test drive some stuff. Get an idea what YOU like the feel of. Roland mesh / Yamaha silicone / Alesis mesh, etc.
My apologies for the ignorance there. I'm in the US, so dollars.

So far I've tested a few different brands, haven't really had any preferences on feel yet. Do different brands really make a big difference with such things?

electrodrummer

1. No worries!
2. Yes. :) As a minimum I would suggest trying the three pad types I listed
3. As for "bass drum pedal" - generally kits don't come with that as it's a very personal feel/decision (same reason they don't come with sticks) - but some stores may do a bundled package with all sorts of (generally not good) stuff. So, again, worth trying some and seeing what you like.

charliedrummer

Regarding your main question about brands, Roland and Yamaha have been the big players over the past 20+ years and both are know for producing well-built kits that will last a long time. Sounds will differ among then two so you need to check them out on your own. Roland has a reputation of having sounds that are more "processed" than Yamaha, but it's up to you to decide which you prefer. Alesis has been in the e-drum game for a long time as well, but their quality control has not been on par with Roland and Yamaha, although I've heard good reviews of their newly revamped Strike kit. In my opinion, $1000 is not going to give you many options unless you go the used route, which will often result in more bang for your buck than buying new. Personally, I would avoid other brands in this price range because they end up being "toys" versus good quality instruments. If you wait until you could increase your budget by a few hundred dollars, I think you would have more/better options available.

Good Karma

Most music store will have some demo's set up, play on all of them thats in your budget and decide.

Note: whichever you choose DO NOT USE THE FELT side of the beater if you have one. it will plug up the mesh in your kick drum

Nick74

Consider 2nd hand. Get much more for your money
Yes, go 2nd hand! I recommend a used (and perhaps outdated) Roland kit for software drumming. For natural drum sound connect with good sounding external drum samplers like [EZDrummer, SuperiorDrummer, AddictiveDrums, BFD] and their great expansions. Roland module because of the shortest midi latency available and software drumming because "acoustic-drum sound" from a module like Roland is gonna suck because sounding like machinegunning plastic shit: Link.

Rochelle Rochelle

I tried out both the Roland and Alesis kits and really felt the Roland ones were of better quality. I found a TD-17KV on eBay, it was open box, for right at $1000. It looked like it had never been used. I am left-handed and have it setup in the lefty config and I have a double bass pedal. I ended up getting a used triple zone ride cymbal for around $150 since I wanted two crashes and a separate ride with the bell sound. Everything has worked out great with it and I am happy with the purchase.