Beginner gear question

TheBLC84

I decided I want to learn to play drums at 36 more as therapy than for actual skill or playing in a band or anything like that. I know very little when it comes to gear. I know the basics. I found an inexpensive drum set on guitar center. It has 1 snare 2 toms 1 floor tom and 2 bass drums. I would need to buy a pedal, hi hat, cymbals and stands. My question is I have looked for a pedal with 2 pedals and 1 or 2 beaters on each pedal. I found some cheap no name pedals with 2 and 1 beater but am hesitant to purchase it although it does have a good price. I would probably get what I pay for if I'm lucky. Does anyone know of any pedals like I am looking for? Should I just use 1 bass drum and keep the other as a spare, buy a double bass pedal? Has anyone ever heard of using a bass drum as a floor tom? Thank you in advance for your replies.

IBitePrettyHard

Yikes, don't get that, it's junk. It's one step above a toy kit.

Look on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist for used drums in your area. You may be able to find a kit with everything you need including hardware and cymbals. Look for a Pearl Export, or entry level drums from major manufacturers like Pearl, Tama, Ludwig, Mapex, PDP or Yamaha.

Since you're just learning I wouldn't get a double pedal just yet. It would be more of a distraction. Get a single pedal for now. Look for a cheaper pedal from Pearl, Tama, Yamaha or DW.

You can find tons of stuff for sale on Reverb.com, or I guess even Guitarcenter.com like you posted already.

We can help you narrow it down if you tell us your overall budget, or post more links to stuff you find. :)

Last edited:

MrPockets

Gold Member
I wouldn't touch anything that is marketed below an intermediate drum set. Also, try to buy quality bass drum pedals. This is assuming you will stick with it.

I would probably get what I pay for if I'm lucky. Does anyone know of any pedals like I am looking for?

DW 5000 series, TAMA Iron Cobra or similar form other brands.

Should I just use 1 bass drum and keep the other as a spare, buy a double bass pedal?

Depends on your drum room situation. I would use both bass drums If I was able personally. It's a personal preference thing you will figure out over time.

Has anyone ever heard of using a bass drum as a floor tom?

Yes, but don't do that starting out or ever really until you have an extremely specific need to do so.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Without knowing your budget, it's difficult to recommend a drum set, but easier to not recommend the one shown. If GC is selling it for $149. you can know it's worth half of that. Let us know your budget if you wish and we can provide better help.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
You're a beginner. You need to start somewhere. In that sense the Rogue kit is good. It takes years to get OK at drums. Expect to buy and sell, trade up if you continue in this drumming activity. We can help you. Right now you would likely benefit from buying drum sticks and practicing on furniture or your thighs. There is a lot to learn.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Also if you play 2 bass drums, you will need 2 single pedals. If you want 2 bass drum hits with one bass drum, you will need a double bass drum pedal.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I decided I want to learn to play drums at 36 more as therapy than for actual skill or playing in a band or anything like that. I know very little when it comes to gear. I know the basics.

Whenever someone wants to obtain an instrument, and knows nothing about said instrument, and doesn't have the bandwidth to learn the in's and out's of the instrument, the answer is simple.....

Yamaha.

You want a Yamaha Stage Custom, a set (hat/crash/ride) of B20 cymbals like Zildjian A's or Zultan's, a Yamaha 7000 (or Crosstown) hardware pack, and a throne that fits your posterior. Budget is approximately $1500 new, $750 used.

Old Dog new Cans

Lol I just checked the OPs local CL. What a joke. Everyone thinks they have magic beans.

I see some sets on CL locally, WHOA! I can't believe the prices I see. I rarely see ANYTHING worth buying at the price the seller is asking. There is a raw cherry bass drum locally with raw hoops, only $100. I just don't need another bass drum!

TheBLC84

My budget is $300. I know that isn't a lot but thats what I have to work with. I have been looking at Facebook and there have been some good ones but they are asking for too much.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
My budget is $300. I know that isn't a lot but thats what I have to work with. I have been looking at Facebook and there have been some good ones but they are asking for too much.
Forget Facebook. That's magic beans land. Peruse the Guitar Center used gear. You want Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, Ludwig, Gretsch, PDP, DW, Sonor.

GC will ship to store so you can get a set from Oregon sent to Georgia if they have it. Then you can inspect it, and return it if you dont like it.

someguy01

I'd get a practice pad and some sticks while you save some money to increase your options. I am the king of cheap kits, but it's hard to work with $300 and get a complete setup.
I only paid $320 for my Premiers, but there was no hardware at all, not even a tom mount.

specgrade

A pair of sticks and a pillow.

KamaK

Platinum Member

If that is indeed the case....

You are looking for a multi-ply poplar kit (Ludwig Accent, Pearl Export, Gretsch Renegade, Yamaha Rydeen, Imperialstar, etc) with bundled hardware and a set of B8's.

A not-quite local example of this would be https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/d/cumming-tama-imperialstar-piece-drum-kit/7225821672.html

You can frequently find those for ~$300, or close enough to it that a $300 offer might pass.

SeanMc

I decided I want to learn to play drums at 36 more as therapy than for actual skill or playing in a band or anything like that. I know very little when it comes to gear. I know the basics. I found an inexpensive drum set on guitar center. It has 1 snare 2 toms 1 floor tom and 2 bass drums. I would need to buy a pedal, hi hat, cymbals and stands. My question is I have looked for a pedal with 2 pedals and 1 or 2 beaters on each pedal. I found some cheap no name pedals with 2 and 1 beater but am hesitant to purchase it although it does have a good price. I would probably get what I pay for if I'm lucky. Does anyone know of any pedals like I am looking for? Should I just use 1 bass drum and keep the other as a spare, buy a double bass pedal? Has anyone ever heard of using a bass drum as a floor tom? Thank you in advance for your replies.
I would not not bother with a double bass pedal. I picked up the drums 3 years ago at 52. Went on a gear buying craze. Spend time and money on lessons is my advice.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

A pair of sticks and a pillow.

NO PILLOW!!! you will have tendonitis and too tight of a grip before you know it

Get a legit practice pad!!!

and ALWAYS remember that in any activity, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR....I am a band director of 30+ years, and I can tell you right now, it will not be very therapeutic to get an "instrument" that will not be usable in a few months due to things falling apart, or not being manufactured correctly.

you are going to NOT want to fight your equipment the whole time

go with the advice of starting with a practice pad and sticks, and then save up some money...maybe ask for some money for Christmas to put towards it: all 34 of my cymbals have been birthday or Christmas gifts!!