Beginner - easy songs are freaking hard!

Because it's December, and because my band is playing it at a Xmas party.

Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade.

Shuffle on the snare, quarters on the bass drum for the verses.

Triplets to emphasise the transitions, some very simple ride cymbal stuff.

Earworm warning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-kZUvkOrQg

Because it's December, and because my band is playing it at a Xmas party.

Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade.

Shuffle on the snare, quarters on the bass drum for the verses.

Triplets to emphasise the transitions, some very simple ride cymbal stuff.

Earworm warning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-kZUvkOrQg

Great song and in our set from tomorrow evening until either the 22nd or 30th of this month, but there’s no way that this is an easy song and our interpretation drops the shuffle entirely.

This is probably going to sound completely stupid. I've been playing since I was 6 or 7 yrs old, so for about 50 years now, off and on. I just am beginning to realize how powerful the basic rock beat is (which for me is: 1&3 on the kick, 2&4 on the snare, eighths on the ride or hihat). From the first time I sat behind a kit, I was always trying to get beyond that. Now, I'm thinking that I haven't spent nearly enough time on it. Easy songs *are* freaking hard! It's easy to gloss over the details of an AC/DC tune, thinking, yeah I can do that, no problem. But quite another matter to actually execute with confidence & authority.

This is probably going to sound completely stupid. I've been playing since I was 6 or 7 yrs old, so for about 50 years now, off and on. I just am beginning to realize how powerful the basic rock beat is (which for me is: 1&3 on the kick, 2&4 on the snare, eighths on the ride or hihat). From the first time I sat behind a kit, I was always trying to get beyond that. Now, I'm thinking that I haven't spent nearly enough time on it. Easy songs *are* freaking hard! It's easy to gloss over the details of an AC/DC tune, thinking, yeah I can do that, no problem. But quite another matter to actually execute with confidence & authority.

Confidence and authority, excellent words.
In a previous band the singer worked out a Lady Gaga Rock medley and recorded a demo which he handed out on cd so we all knew his vision of it. I listened to it religiously for a week when I was in the car. When it came to rehearsal it became obvious that others hadn't tried quite as hard and he singled me out to thank for my work because I was driving the song, never treading water, hitting the drums like I meant it because I knew where it was going and nailing the numerous stops in the arrangement.
Playing along is something I've talked about and done and an important learning tool, but it's obvious when you see bands that some playing along while others play.

Very new drummer here as well man. And the struggle is real.. I get it. What has really helped me with my same problem is playing Billie Jean... For what its worth. We will get through this !

Just keep playin! The only other advice I can offer is find songs that you like and that you want to play to. Probably not a good idea to limit yourself to those long term, but when you're starting out you want to feel inspired to rock out to a song and have fun.

First song I learned was a Scorpions song called No One Like You. Got through that one after a few (hundred) tries.

Just keep playin! The only other advice I can offer is find songs that you like and that you want to play to. Probably not a good idea to limit yourself to those long term, but when you're starting out you want to feel inspired to rock out to a song and have fun.

+1 to this. It's easier to learn songs that you like, or has something g in it that interests you. That's how I've learned entire CD, due to one part of a song that hooked me initially.

Great song (Slade - Merry Christmas Everybody) and in our set from tomorrow evening until either the 22nd or 30th of this month, but there’s no way that this is an easy song...

Having now learnt and played it with my band, I do think it would be within the grasp of a beginner drummer.

There's always room to simplify it, e.g., by leaving out the triplet rolls on the snare. But there's always something tricky to master, at whatever level of technical proficiency one is playing. And nothing like the combination of some mix of "I need to learn this so as not to let the side down" and "I really like this song" to force a drummer to learn a song.

There are apps that you can load your music on to, which allow you to change the tempo. You can then play along to a real song at a speed that is comfortable and achievable for you. You can also loop part of the song - that nasty tricky bit! - so that you can practise it over and over again, nice and slowly, until you've nailed it and then incorporate it seamlessly into the rest of the piece.

Having your caek and eating it is always good.
can you point me to such apps? I've been looking for some with no success

A few rules that all drummers should follow when learning new bits.

Start small like one pattern of the song
Play at the slowest tempo needed to play it right
slowly increase the tempo until it is the correct tempo
repeat for the next pattern and then put those two patterns together
rinse and repeat

And do not make the mistake of thinking you don't need rudiments. Embrace them.

Another One Bites The Dust - straight 4 on the floor and one relatively simple fill

My advice to beginners is: go easy on the hi-hats. I've seen quite a few beginners hitting the hats really hard with the sleeve of the stick, moving their whole arm. Sounds quite annoying and will tire you up real quick. Use your wrist and find the "sweet spot" for the song you're playing. Start with songs that have simple kick-drum patterns (e.g., kicks on 8th notes - the "one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and", not the "e" or "ah").

Sorry to resurrect...

Had to play "Strangers" by the Kinks last night.

I was teetering on the edge of lacking the discipline to play the sparse/simple part over and over.

Back