Beginner drummer needs help

Trospa

Hello guys, I'm new to drumming and this forum. Few days ago I purchased Tommy Igoe's Great Hands For Lifetime. Here is video of me playing excercises #1 to #4. I can hear that my tempo is a bit off (metronome is set to 104bpm) but I would really like to hear what do you guys think about my technique. Am I using too much wrist, too much elbow? Every critic is helpful.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Slow it down, make bigger motions, and play more from the back of the hand, and loosen up your grip in the front of the hand. One hand is obviously stronger and better coordinated than the other, work the weak hand twice as much as the strong hand, and learn to lead with the weak hand.

Trospa

Slow it down, make bigger motions, and play more from the back of the hand, and loosen up your grip in the front of the hand. One hand is obviously stronger and better coordinated than the other, work the weak hand twice as much as the strong hand, and learn to lead with the weak hand.
What does it mean to play more from the back of the hand? Can you please explain it a bit?

brentcn

Platinum Member
It all looks fine, nice work so far! Overall, you're relaxed, and the sticks are moving smoothly and freely. During the moments when the stick is way up in the air, that pinky finger can disengage, to where it's not curled around the stick, but it should follow the curve of your other fingers, and not stick out. At lower dynamic levels, do what you must, in order to keep the pinky around the butt end of the stick.

The limits of your technique won't become noticeable, in this exercise, at this speed. It's too easy and slow. Your shortcomings will be more obvious when the tempo increases, or the pattern is more difficult. But this is good warm-up material.

Trospa

Thanks for your feeback. I also noticed that my pinky is pointed out when the stick is in the air. Problem is, when I try to wrap it around the stick, I feel like I choke the rebound too much. Is that supposed to happen?

brentcn

Platinum Member
The pinky can let go briefly, in order to allow the stick to come up to a full height. When the stick comes down, the pinky should come back around the stick. Easier said than done, of course.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I was going to say the same. Your timing sounds pretty good, and I love seeing beginners use a pad. Those rudiments and pad work DO make a difference later on. Trust me. Keep the pinkys on the stick, and don't let it bounce so high. It works together.

If you keep the pinkys/ring finger on and say only rebound it 6 inches or so it is much easier. Your grip is nice and loose though, don't change that. Keep it relaxed. Sometimes taking my index or even index and middle finger off for a bit of practice helps to engage the 2 rear fingers and get a feel of them working for a while. Once you add all 4 in you will have great control.

Trospa

Thanks everyone for your comments, I'll try these things you mentioned here and will hopefully come back soon with a new video to see if any improvements were made.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Making great progress on the pad-I always play rudiments on my snare. The rudiments are great for your hands. But don't forget the kit takes all your limbs and independence- so don't forget your feet too. You can just tap out rudiments sitting with no drum with your feet.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
This is a very good set of exercises, and you're doing pretty good.

It is often good to slow things down, but not in this case. Since it is a rebound exercice, your movements must be continuous.
The starting tempo on the video is 105, if I remember right.
Try to keep your stick down (no rebound at all) at the end of each series of bounces.

Twakeshima

This is a great practice. I do think that you should try an exercise of just working on sixteenth notes at a slow pace and slowly building up speed as it gets comfortable. This will help with stick control. Your pinky finger (like mine) tends to let go of the stick sometimes. Really try to get that under control because it will be important as you get further along your journey. Some books to try out would be “Stick Control” and “Syncopation.” Another practice technique which is kinda weird but it helped me was to record myself in slow motion to a metronome. This will make it way easier to see what’s really going on. Overall, though, great job and keep at it. I’m sure you’ll make a great drummer one day.

beatdat

I agree with what other members have said - you're doing fine!

But, as Alain Rieder said, do keep the stick down at the end of each series of bounce, this will be crucial when you get into accents and taps.

One thing I did notice, though, is that your technique seemed to change slightly when going into the single stroke roll... it seemed as if you were starting to play more from the hand and less from the fulcrum at this point. Try not do that, and watch the video portion of this again and again (Tommy Igoe makes of point of wanting to avoid doing that). You'll notice this happening if you start to feel the top of the hand working more than it does when you're just doing rebound strokes.

Anyway, again, I think you're doing a fine job so far, but remember that it can take weeks, even months, to get this down, so stick with it as long as you have to because this part of GHFAL is a big part of the foundation you need to develop as a drummer.

Good luck!