"Beginner Drum Set" advice/rec's

Vinny

Hi Folks,

Been wanting to play since I was a kid. I recently retired so it's "now or never" as they say.

So at this juncture I would like the forums advice/rec's for a set of beginner acoustic drums.

Edit to add: I'm a cheap scottish bastard and was hoping to keep it around $300-$400 including hardware and cymbals if possible.

Thanks,

Vince

Last edited:
I think you will get lots advise about this, but the jist of it will likely go like this:

- Buy used; you can get more for your money
- Spend less on cheaper drums and more on quality cymbals
- Don't buy a lot of drums (a 5 piece or less is just fine)

Then you will get lots of suggestions for the Yamaha Stage Custom.

If I were a communist, I would have my fascist state issue the following to beginning drummers...

Yamaha Stage Custom kit
Zildjian A391 box set
Yamaha 7 series hardware pack
Roc-n-Soc throne

New: Keep all the boxes, recoup 60-70% when you sell.
Used: Pay 50-60% of what they list for in GC or MF.

Strangely, I did exactly what the forum suggests. Buy used, look for intermediate drums (Yamaha Stage Customs, Pearl Exports, etc.) and better grade cymbals. I think you'll be better served and more satisfied if you bump your budget up to $500 or 600. I'd only go for entry level drums/cymbals if you think you'll scrap the whole project in a year or two. Intermediate drums will typically sound/tune/last better and better grade cymbals normally don't sound like trash can lids. I got a used 6-pc Stage Custom drum set, 5 Zildjian A & K cymbals and all the Yamaha hardware for $600 - after 8 years, I couldn't be happier. If you buy starter-grade stuff, you'll likely want to upgrade if it's a hobby that sticks. Spend some time looking on C-List and hold out for the right deal. You'll find it!

I think you will get lots advise about this, but the jist of it will likely go like this:

- Buy used; you can get more for your money
- Spend less on cheaper drums and more on quality cymbals
- Don't buy a lot of drums (a 5 piece or less is just fine)

Then you will get lots of suggestions for the Yamaha Stage Custom.

Thanks Tommy,

On Craigslist the lower priced stuff I am seeing is CB, SP, Percussion Plus and a Pearl Export.

Last edited:
If I were a communist, I would have my fascist state issue the following to beginning drummers...

Yamaha Stage Custom kit
Zildjian A391 box set
Yamaha 7 series hardware pack
Roc-n-Soc throne

New: Keep all the boxes, recoup 60-70% when you sell.
Used: Pay 50-60% of what they list for in GC or MF.

Thanks KamaK,

Regarding your "used" remark, what is GC or MF?

Strangely, I did exactly what the forum suggests. Buy used, look for intermediate drums (Yamaha Stage Customs, Pearl Exports, etc.) and better grade cymbals. I think you'll be better served and more satisfied if you bump your budget up to $500 or 600. I'd only go for entry level drums/cymbals if you think you'll scrap the whole project in a year or two. Intermediate drums will typically sound/tune/last better and better grade cymbals normally don't sound like trash can lids. I got a used 6-pc Stage Custom drum set, 5 Zildjian A & K cymbals and all the Yamaha hardware for $600 - after 8 years, I couldn't be happier. If you buy starter-grade stuff, you'll likely want to upgrade if it's a hobby that sticks. Spend some time looking on C-List and hold out for the right deal. You'll find it!
Thanks Smoke!
Just curious, did you get all that in one purchase off Craigslist?

Not sure what's available where you are.
Here in the states, there are some inexpensive new kits that come with everything you need to get started:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/comp...profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

A few things to consider - if you are sure you'll stick with it, follow the advice already given.
If you get starter stuff (especially cymbals), and decide you want to stick with it,
you will be looking to upgrade everything soon.

On the other hand, if you are not sure how well you'll take to it -
learning can be frustrating and time consuming -
and you get starter stuff, you won't be out a whole lot of money
if you decide to drop the drumming idea.

If you have sites where you are (we have craigslist, ebay and others here),
where people sell used stuff, it'd probably be worth your time to see
what's available there.

I noticed some kits have 22" vs 20" bass and smaller tom sizes. The floor toms are all the same size.
Any reason to avoid the smaller bass and toms?

I think that's a good choice.
Good enough if you stick with it, and inexpensive enough to not break the bank.

If you had the choice, would you buy a used Stage Custom for $350 or a new Roadshow for $350? I would take the Stage Custom every time. Not only that, but if I didn't like drumming, I could sell the Stage Custom for ~$350. The Roadshow? Maybe $150.

If you had the choice, would you buy a used Stage Custom for $350 or a new Roadshow for $350? I would take the Stage Custom every time. Not only that, but if I didn't like drumming, I could sell the Stage Custom for ~$350. The Roadshow? Maybe $150.

No argument there. I'm a Stage Custom fan.

Of course, that's all contingent on finding a used set for $350. Plus,
the OP asked for cymbals and hardware too - for 300 to 400.
That a tough nut to crack.

Cymbals and hardware included: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/pearl-roadshow-4-piece-jazz-drum-set
$379 new.

I'm going to propose that buying a used Stage Custom is 'free' if you intend on selling it when you're done.

For the OP.

New drums are expensive. Here's an example of what I and a lot of others recommend, and to set your expectations on what prices look like.

RisznwJ.png

Going to a store or getting everything off the internet is about $2k. Being thrifty and buying used should run you around $1G. I've seen some make out for $650 sniping auctions and waiting on deals.

The benefit of buying used, and buying the SC/Zildjian A's, etc is that resale becomes quick and easy...
If you buy new, figure out a way to keep the boxes (helps the resale)

If you cannot make that budget happen, then the Pearl Roadshow is a great deal.

I'd buy the Roadshow every time. For me - it's a slam dunk. Not even close.

Hi Vinny. I understand you're recently retired and probably don't have the money that you truly need to buy what you really should be looking for, however, a bit of advice if I may...

Drums are expensive! Yes, you can spend a couple thousand dollars on a really nice guitar, but you really don't need to. Unfortunately, drums are not guitars and they do indeed cost a decent amount of money.

I think you are extremely short changing yourself with a $300 - $400 total kit. If you go that route, you are going to end up getting the cheapest of the cheap and trust me when I say, the nicer the gear, the more you will want to play them.

I also agree with the used mentality, however, with you being new and probably not understanding what you're looking at as it relates to overall drum condition and cymbal condition. Also, the plethora of brands and models for drums and cymbals can be extremely over-whelming.

I would suggest you raise your minimum up to closer to $1000 and shop until you drop to find A) a good 5 piece kit, ie, Yamaha Stage Custom, PDP Concept, Gretsch Catalina or Tama kit. Then at least buy a decent cymbal pack. Sabian and Zildjian both have decent slightly higher and beginner packs. and some hardware, once again you really cant go wrong with anything Yamaha.

I hope this helps. And if you just are starting lessons and they are just on snare drum, go out and pick up a decent snare drum and stand and throne and start there.

Peace, Defender

Thanks Smoke!
Just curious, did you get all that in one purchase off Craigslist?

Yessir. I was 48/49 years old at the time and getting into drumming for the first time too. I started off with a $500 limit, and watched C-List for about 6 months or so while I saved a few more duckies. A young gal had a better kit at her church and didn't need to schlep her set anymore so decided to sell it. She originally asked $750, but then dropped to $650 a few weeks later. I asked if she'd take $600 and the deal was done. I'm lucky, as I live between U-Mich and Mich State colleges, so there's typically a college student or some such who can't keep drums. Keep looking - there are deals out there. The more you shop and the more you poke at the Gurus here on D-World, the easier it is to spot a real bargain. I wasn't a D-World member at the time, but a buddy steered me in the right direction. Good luck, Vinny!

Back