"Beginner Drum Set" advice/rec's

Smoke

Silver Member
Regarding 20/22/24 inch bass drum size - either is fine if you're going to be a hobby drummer in the basement. If you plan on being a hard rock/metal drummer in a band, the 20" might be lacking, but that's only my opinion.

Also, you can have tons of fun on a 4-piece drum set with just high-hats and a crash-ride cymbal. You can always add more cymbals in the future, as the desire and check book allow.

Check out Cascio Interstate Music's website (http://www.interstatemusic.com/) and shop the intermediate sets - they're all good. Then hit pawn shops, C-List, the used sections at Musician's Friend and Guitar Center. Study, study, study, so you know what you want and shop, shop, shop until you find a good deal. And keep pestering the gals and guys here on D-World - while you'll get differing opinions, you'll seldom get bum advice.

Vinny

Thank you all so much for your advice and guidance!

I am going to increase my budgets top line as many of you recommend.

Have not located any used Yamaha Stage Customs on Craigslist, Offerup or GC's used listings for my area. Will keep checking.

Last edited:

Tone Laborer

I put together my used 4 pc orphan Export shells w Premier snare for $150. I found hardware cheap too,$60 but that was just the initial outlay. New heads have been a must for every used drum I've found, plus throne, pedal upgrade, sticks, practice pad, stick bag, cymbal bag-- there's lots of extras that add up, and I was starting from ziltch.

I'm about $500 into decent used cymbals--As, Ks, a Paiste Alpha, and an HHX Evo. But that number is going up too--looking at a used K ride right now on CL.

I don't claim any great wisdom with my approach, but it was easier to scrape up a hundred or two at a time, vs. one large sum. Good luck with it. The trouble with most used package deals I see, at least the lower priced ones, is that they usually come with cheap cymbals.

I've now fully abandoned the idea of an inexpensive set of drums!

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
Can anyone let me know if this is reasonably ok starter set???

It's a four piece Sound Percussion with hardware and probably cheap cymbals.
Asking price is $150 and comes with everything in the pictures.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/5903670340.html
You'll purchase a $100 poplar kit with B8 cymbals and pot metal hardware like the one you listed. You will practice for ~3 months. You will then say "Why did I buy this POS poplar kit?". At that point, you will either quit or buy real gear.

Since you're only blowing $150, go ahead and try it to find out.

force3005

Silver Member
Hey Vinny, not SP. Take a look at the Sonor that I mentioned or the Yamaha or even Pearl's Decade maple kit. Pearl has a life time warranty on the shells at $700 or less is not a bad price.

force3005

Silver Member
Hey Vinny, remember to purchase a good throne. It makes practicing and playing easier and more enjoyable. Easy on you back and backside.

Vinny

Hey Vinny, remember to purchase a good throne. It makes practicing and playing easier and more enjoyable. Easy on you back and backside.
Good point!
I got the DW 5000 series throne when I bought the Roland e-drums but returned it with the drums.

Vinny

The store near me made this offer.
This all new gear.

Taye ProX 522C - $300
Pearl HWP 830 - $200
Zildjian PLZ 4PK - $200

Last edited:

Vinny

Very excited ... just came across some used Yamaha Stage Customs!
The model # is STT-610, but Yamaha doesn't show an STT model.

Edited to change number to STT-610 which then did show up on the Yamaha Drum Vault

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
Very excited ... just came across some used Yamaha Stage Customs!
The model # is STT-810, but Yamaha doesn't show an STT model.
I 'think' that the STT's sold as the "Stage Custom Advantage" and is a Birch/Mahogany shell. Someone here correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Vinny

Picked up my used Yamaha Stage Customs tonight.

Snare Drum: Model Number SSD-065
Three Toms: SST-810
Bass Drum: SBD-622
According to the first four letters of the serial number (POYO) they were made in 1998.

However, I'm pretty bummed right now. When I got the drums home I discovered the set has no Floor Tom.
Turns out all three Toms are Rack Tom’s: 10in; 12in; 14in.
Damn, I really wanted Floor Tom.

Last edited:

force3005

Silver Member
Hey Vinny, what I think you have are called fusion sizes. The 14 is a hanging floor tom. That was very common back then and still is somewhat today. If your tom depth is 11 or lager you could install after market legs. You would have to drill the holes for the mounting brackets for each leg, three holes per leg. After market kits $30-40. If you are thinking about that, I can help picking out the correct type of drill bit.

Edit: Forgot, congraulations on your new\old kit.

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
However, I'm pretty bummed right now. When I got the drums home I discovered the set has no Floor Tom.
The 14" hangs off of a stand in the FT position. Depending on the hardware that came with the kit, you will either need a multi-clamp or the proper size L-Rod.

In my spreadsheet above, you will see a $50 row labeled "Assorted Felts/sleeves/keys", as I always budget $50 for the unexpected "bullshit" that one has procure when buying a kit.

Looking forward to pics of the kit. Post pics of the hardware that you have and we can tell you what part you need.

Vinny

Thanks guys. You're right. The 14" hangs of the ride cymbal stand.
Will get some pics and post.

I could use some help on a couple things.

The ride cymbal stand has a loose part that won't tighten firmly. It's where the arm that the ride cymbal sits on goes into what I think is called a boom clamp that has small teeth.
I was puzzled why it was loose so I unscrewed it all the way off and a spring fell out of somewhere. Cant determine where the spring goes.

The loose clamp is the lower one in the pics. (sorry, pic so big)

20161206_105619.jpg 20161206_105657.jpg

Last edited: