Beginner Drum play alongs

Drum4Jesus

Hey Drummerworld! I've been playing the drums for a while now and I've never played along with a song. I'm going to need to learn music I'm guessing. Any suggestions?

Drum4Jesus

Thanks OAO! So I'm guessing it will really help to learn to read drum tablature?
Those resources looked pretty cool. Thank You. This is a hot-topic here, I bet, is Drumeo good for song play alongs?

JustJames

Platinum Member
No!

Sheet music for drums is sufficiently straightforward to learn that you should save the time and learn to read music instead.

Tab for drums is a dead end, because sheet music conveys so much more information more easily.

For bass and guitar, I get that tab is easier to read (despite its shortcomings) but for drum kit, knuckle down and learn to read music.

Drum4Jesus

Thanks JJ, Honestly I didn't know there was a difference between tablature and music..haha learn something new everyday. How long did it take you to learn to read drum music?

Out Of Warranty

How long did it take you to learn to read drum music?
There's no goal line....it's an on-going process. You just need to start. It's important.

There is plenty on the web to get you going. It will be slow at first, but the more you study it, the better you'll get.

You should consider taking lessons.

Good luck.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Thanks JJ, Honestly I didn't know there was a difference between tablature and music..haha learn something new everyday. How long did it take you to learn to read drum music?
The difference:
Tablature is written on the sheet music staff (or stave) and uses an x or an o to denote a "hit" with each line and space between representing a different part of the kit.

Proper drum music also uses each line and space to denote an element of the kit, but uses music notation to denote how long each hit lasts, i.e., also communicates the pauses between hits.

I am far from a great reader, but I do recall that with the aid of a teacher, learning to read was pretty painless. My background is that I have been a self taught guitarist since 19-long-ago. With drums, I wanted to learn to read music. Even though I seldom read music, and move my lips a great deal when I do, it's a worthwhile skill, and I am very glad to have it (slightly).