Beginner and older...

ronyd

Silver Member
shoot THU, you're just a kid LOL. I started at 59. Should have done it a long time ago, but work and sports took up my time. Playing drums is the best descision I've made in a while. Great teacher, great drummers and muscians I've meet because of my teacher, limited TV, always learning.

What's better than that! Well if my wife reads this, of course she's on the list.

M

Mike_In_KC

Thu I forgot to mention in my earlier post how valuable you will find this forum. Do not be afraid to post what you think may be the silliest of questions - maybe give the search bar a whirl first but if you can't find your answer ASK. I have been here for a couple of months and have posted some whoppers now that I "look back" on some of my earlier posts :) Also do not be shy about sharing your successes - it is very useful to post a success story and watch as the forum members laud you and pat you on the back - it's a good feeling!

There are many professional drummers who post here and I have yet to run into anyone that is less than helpful. Sometimes you will see some snark and crankiness - there are lots of opinions here and sometimes they go head up. But for us newbies the place is a gold mine - use it!!!!

MM

mikbau

Wanted to throw my .02 in here as well. I just turned 40, and I've been playing for about a year. I'm actually in MN at the moment recording an album with a friend of mine tomorrow.

Like the OP, I played guitar (playing being a subjective term) for years..and on a lark, I started playing some small acoustic bits behind local songwriters. I haven't gone about learning technique in a real structured way, and that's something I need to improve on. But one of the things I've discussed with friends is that approaching drumming (or I would imagine any other instrument) later in life...you have a much different approach based on your life experiences, and also based on how you've listened to music over the years then you would at, say, 18. That's definitely been a benefit to me. I also find that now that I'm playing drums, I listen to music a little differently, too.

So welcome to the over 40s new drummer club ;o)

~m

Beater

56 here and new to drumming but not playing music.

I found a great teacher and because I work from home am able to practice throughout the day.

Long term goal is to play in a band and live out my rock and roll fantasy.

Great Forum

Cheers

KamaK

Platinum Member
56 here and new to drumming but not playing music.

I found a great teacher and because I work from home am able to practice throughout the day.

Long term goal is to play in a band and live out my rock and roll fantasy.

Great Forum

Cheers
Welcome to the forum Beater. Lots of new older folks on the forum. 38 here and have been playing for just shy of a year.

Neat old thread you found.

mikel

Platinum Member
Ha, 42. I have my first gig with the first band I have been in, after a 35 year hiatus, in February, I am 63 in March. Age is meaningless in every kind of music but pop.

The most important thing is to enjoy what you are doing and playing. Yes lessons would be good but dont get hung up on "I must do this, then I must do that etc" there is no right or wrong way to learn, just what is right for you.

I say again, enjoyment is the most important aspect, If you just enjoy playing the e kit along to your fav songs then do it. If you want to go the wholr 9 yards and gig with a Jazz or Prog Rock band then you will need help and a lot of practice and dedication. Whatever, good luck my fellow drummer.

Dave A

Hello, Beater,

welcome to the forum and a journey packed with highs and lows. You did the right thing getting a teacher. I'm 46 and started about 4 years ago. I joined a band of mature beginners about a year after starting lessons and it's definitely helped. We've even started a second band as an off-shoot of the first.
I'd say get the basics to a stage where you're comfortable with them and then also look for people who are about the same level musically as your self. Or a seasoned musician with patients and tolerance.
Good luck and enjoy.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
This is an old thread.

Hey Thu are you around? How's it coming with the drums?
I know, it sort of makes you wonder, huh? His 3rd and last post was on March 5 of last year. Is he a drummer still? Is he not? The suspense is killing me!

We may never know. And that sucks, man.

Beater

Welcome to the forum Beater. Lots of new older folks on the forum. 38 here and have been playing for just shy of a year.

Neat old thread you found.
Ha, 42. I have my first gig with the first band I have been in, after a 35 year hiatus, in February, I am 63 in March. Age is meaningless in every kind of music but pop.

The most important thing is to enjoy what you are doing and playing. Yes lessons would be good but dont get hung up on "I must do this, then I must do that etc" there is no right or wrong way to learn, just what is right for you.

I say again, enjoyment is the most important aspect, If you just enjoy playing the e kit along to your fav songs then do it. If you want to go the wholr 9 yards and gig with a Jazz or Prog Rock band then you will need help and a lot of practice and dedication. Whatever, good luck my fellow drummer.
Hello, Beater,

welcome to the forum and a journey packed with highs and lows. You did the right thing getting a teacher. I'm 46 and started about 4 years ago. I joined a band of mature beginners about a year after starting lessons and it's definitely helped. We've even started a second band as an off-shoot of the first.
I'd say get the basics to a stage where you're comfortable with them and then also look for people who are about the same level musically as your self. Or a seasoned musician with patients and tolerance.
Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks for the positive comments. I'ts good to know that I'm not alone.

This is an old thread.

Hey Thu are you around? How's it coming with the drums?
I know, it sort of makes you wonder, huh? His 3rd and last post was on March 5 of last year. Is he a drummer still? Is he not? The suspense is killing me!

We may never know. And that sucks, man.
I too am curious about the op and others who have posted on this thread.

I'll make an effort to update in a year or so.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Any others on here that are middle aged picked up drumming for the first time?
I too began right about your age and started out on a Yamaha e-kit. Unfortunately, I picked up a lot of bad habits on that kit, but I also learned a lot of good stuff, too.

2 1/2 years ago I made the switch to an acoustic set (Gretsch Catalina) and haven't looked back. All those little bad habits were corrected from the e-kit and I'm having a blast. I'm currently playing in a band and practicing - just pure joy... along with some frustration sometimes, too.

Enjoy your journey.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Welcome and good luck. As others have stated get a good teacher at least for the beginning. You need a good grip and stroke so you don't cause injuries. This is the sole reason I do not teach. I fear not teaching the grip and stroke properly. There used to be good videos of Dave Weckl demonstrating the technique for both matched and traditional grip. Having played for many years in my youth and taking three decades off, I found those videos to be extremely helpful in getting my proper grip back.

If you have not heard it yet, the biggest thing you should do is get some lessons from a qualified instructor, at least to get the grip right.

Beater

I too began right about your age and started out on a Yamaha e-kit. Unfortunately, I picked up a lot of bad habits on that kit, but I also learned a lot of good stuff, too.

2 1/2 years ago I made the switch to an acoustic set (Gretsch Catalina) and haven't looked back. All those little bad habits were corrected from the e-kit and I'm having a blast. I'm currently playing in a band and practicing - just pure joy... along with some frustration sometimes, too.

Enjoy your journey.
Interestingly I'm practicing on an e kit and taking lessons on an a-kit.

I'm really wanting the feel of the real deal, but like the convenience of the e kit. So my plan is to make the switch sooner than later.

Happy to hear that your having such a great time, gives me inspiration.