Before and after!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Would you call this a modification or a de-modification?

Other than a Speed King I played on when I 8 til I was 12, the cam and strap has been the most used even though I’ve played regular sprockets, accelerator sprockets, direct drives.....I think I’ve tried every innovative pedal out there. None of those ever felt like a cam and strap. I even joked when I had the Pearl Demon Drive Or the Trick pedal with their plethora of adjustments, I made them feel like a cam and strap!

So I took my well-built Accelerators and went backwards ?

A03953FB-7BF2-4E90-AE24-696244F11281.jpegAA42ACC2-6272-44FA-80A2-7AA84599F28F.jpegA03953FB-7BF2-4E90-AE24-696244F11281.jpegAA42ACC2-6272-44FA-80A2-7AA84599F28F.jpegAA42ACC2-6272-44FA-80A2-7AA84599F28F.jpeg

They feel faster and not so sluggish.
Finally someone's given me an answer. Thanks. I use Ludwig Atlas Pro with double chains. Changed the driveshaft to a Trick and a big improvement. Still those double chains are heavy. I'm going to try the nylon straps that came with the pedals.

Dave Weckl prefers straps. He claims they're easier on the body and facilitate dynamics. I haven't owned a strap pedal in many years and don't really recall its traits.

I've played both chain and direct-drive pedals, but never tried straps.

I've been trying different sticks, and head combos lately. Time to give straps a try as well. (y)

Hey Bo, are those parts you can get from DW? I've had strap drive pedals before and liked them. I'd be willing to try the 5000 again as a strap drive. It's the chain that makes that pedal seem so sluggish to me.

Very nice if you can notice the difference then that’s a wrap Bo.
As a teen, I worked and bought IC that had straps and I loved it compared to the chain drive.
However after several years the strap started to stretch, that was my only drawback, but it seems you are equipped for that situation ?

ive got a premier 252 strap drive pedal, and its smooth and fast, and as bo said, doesnt feel as sluggish as chains.

im trying to find some straps for my pearl eliminator double pedal, then i'll finally be happy with it

I’m actually thinking of converting my 5000 to strap drive. I keep it as a back up to my Sonor Perfect Balance, which is also strap drive. I’ve been using this pedal for the last five years, and am loving it. I will keep my DW 9002 as a chain drive though. ;)

I’m actually thinking of converting my 5000 to strap drive. I keep it as a back up to my Sonor Perfect Balance, which is also strap drive. I’ve been using this pedal for the last five years, and am loving it. I will keep my DW 9002 as a chain drive though. ;)
Pro Drum has the parts in stock! $18 for the cam.

Would you call this a modification or a de-modification?

Other than a Speed King I played on when I 8 til I was 12, the cam and strap has been the most used even though I’ve played regular sprockets, accelerator sprockets, direct drives.....I think I’ve tried every innovative pedal out there. None of those ever felt like a cam and strap. I even joked when I had the Pearl Demon Drive Or the Trick pedal with their plethora of adjustments, I made them feel like a cam and strap!

So I took my well-built Accelerators and went backwards ?

View attachment 93409View attachment 93410View attachment 93409View attachment 93410View attachment 93410

Oh sick - one of my favorite pedals I own had a leather strap....I think strap drives are totally under appreciated.

Bo what material is your strap? I can see it's not leather, but is it nylon or kevlar? Do you have a preference of the 3?

It’s stock DW stuff. I believe it’s some kind of nylon derivative.

Oh okay. I've never used a strap drive, and am genuinely curious as to whether or not the strap material makes a difference.

I always thought a strap, being one flexible unit, would be advantageous to the chain linked together with more frictional parts, etc. (you have to lube them). The strap looks great Bo on that pedal. I guess all my microscope experience helps with the images =they could be upside down or backwards and be no issue for me to view. I haven't played a strap pedal in years but makes me want to try one again.

I always thought a strap, being one flexible unit, would be advantageous to the chain linked together with more frictional parts, etc. (you have to lube them). The strap looks great Bo on that pedal. I guess all my microscope experience helps with the images =they could be upside down or backwards and be no issue for me to view. I haven't played a strap pedal in years but makes me want to try one again.
My pedal history started with a Speed King, which quickly gave way to the Slingerland Tempo King. And mostly all my pedals were some kind of cam and strap - even when I went DW in the 80s, I didn’t stay with the round sprocket for long. As soon as the Accelerator came out I did that. But my favorite was the Tama Flexi-Flyer from 1978. I loved that one. But all pedals were some model based on the old Camcos from the 60s.

Not a fan of strap drives at all really. Something went pop on my Speed Cobra once and a friend lent me his Iron Cobra strap drive and it instantly felt like I had my foot in treacle, the kick sounded about 50% quieter too.

Back