Beer Friends vs. Music Friends

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
These days if I record, I do it at home by myself, but there was a time when this wasn't the case. In college I tried to get together a band, no success, probably the wrong kind of University, and no playing skills to speak of. Though at my University, there were enough people that would get together to practice as long as there was beer. As an another hobby, I've been learning to make home brew. I was kind of reminded of the beer friend phenomena when I was contemplating what yo do with a 4 gallon batch, and my friend from work said, "Don't worry about having too much, I will help you drink the beer." Sigh, is that all there is to it? It's the SNL skit where the band leader wrote all the songs, did all the recording and paid the band members to show up.

J

JohnoWorld

try taking drugs, much more conducive to making music :-D

When I was at Uni, no-one that I knew made music at all. There was no scene whatsoever, that might have something to do with the fact that I was in Cambridge.

Beer is disgusting anyway, it's poison. What you think you taste in beer is actually the taste of preservatives and other additives. Why pay so much for something which just makes you ill.

If you're gonna go for alcohol, try red wine or dark rum n coke, or vodka. Wont' make you feel quite as dead in the morning.
If you go for drugs, just stay away from the "legal" ones

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
try taking drugs, much more conducive to making music :-D

When I was at Uni, no-one that I knew made music at all. There was no scene whatsoever, that might have something to do with the fact that I was in Cambridge.

Beer is disgusting anyway, it's poison. What you think you taste in beer is actually the taste of preservatives and other additives. Why pay so much for something which just makes you ill.

If you're gonna go for alcohol, try red wine or dark rum n coke, or vodka. Wont' make you feel quite as dead in the morning.
If you go for drugs, just stay away from the "legal" ones
I agree I mostly make root beer/soda. Homebrew doesn't have any preservatives, except hops and alcohol. I guess I made the beer because I figure most people won't be able to appreciate the real spices and flavors in my sodas, like at family gatherings and such.

Anyway what kind of music goes with homebrew anyway, that old time jug band music?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I like the beer high. The next morning isn't too bad if I drink beer. I don't care for the rum high at all, it just majorly dulls me. Tequila and whiskey make a nice rowdy high. Not together though.

What was the question again?

tcspears

Gold Member
For several years, there was a group of older musicians around me that were obsessed with beer, long before this "craft beer" phase.

Around xmas each year, he would hos tthe 12 Beers of Christmas, where a bunch of musicians of all ages would bring two six packs of their favorite beer, and we'd sit around and share beer, and talk about beer.

After a few drinks, we'd go to his recording studio in the basement, and various combinations of players would start jamming. I really don't like jamming, and I especially don't like playing the drums if I'm not getting paid, but for some reason (might have been the beer) it was really fun.

Often, the host would record the jams, and some were pretty cool, although a good amount sounded like... a bunch of increasingly drunk people jamming...

He later edited the tracks and released some of the recordings, and they cam out pretty cool. I guess that's a long way of saying that maybe you can combine the two and see what happens!

tcspears

Gold Member
Some of the major brands use all sorts of additives, even MSG, but many don't have any.

German beer especially has to comply with strict purity laws, which do not allow for any additives.

Also, there are many smaller breweries that just include water, hops, yeast, malted barley or wheat... which is all you really need to make beer. Even some of the bigger ones, like Heineken stopped using additives and preservatives.

http://foodbabe.com/cleanbeer/

http://organics.org/8-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking-immediately/

I've never understood adding preservatives to beer, it's sort of like adding preservatives to pickles... it's already fermented, why does it need presevatives???

J

JohnoWorld

I agree I mostly make root beer/soda. Homebrew doesn't have any preservatives, except hops and alcohol. I guess I made the beer because I figure most people won't be able to appreciate the real spices and flavors in my sodas, like at family gatherings and such.

Anyway what kind of music goes with homebrew anyway, that old time jug band music?
13th Floor Elevators?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYh5oMDlWwQ

and yes, home brew much better

J

JohnoWorld

Some of the major brands use all sorts of additives, even MSG, but many don't have any.

German beer especially has to comply with strict purity laws, which do not allow for any additives.

Also, there are many smaller breweries that just include water, hops, yeast, malted barley or wheat... which is all you really need to make beer. Even some of the bigger ones, like Heineken stopped using additives and preservatives.

http://foodbabe.com/cleanbeer/

http://organics.org/8-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking-immediately/

I've never understood adding preservatives to beer, it's sort of like adding preservatives to pickles... it's already fermented, why does it need presevatives???
Agreed.

Although the German purity law exists in Germany, it does not exist for exports. In order for a beer to be exported, it needs chemicals to stop it going off during transit, going out of date etc etc.

The problem with this country is that we add preservatives and various other chemicals just because that's what we think beer tastes of. Hence why real ale exists because these people know what beer should taste like.

However.....

I'm a lager man though. Real ale just taste of flat lager thats been left out the whole night. Also, real ale is so easy to make whereas lager is a lot more labour intensive.

There are many real ales available around the country now from local breweries, why don't most of them supply a real lager as well?

I'd drink it.

I remember making my own beer at a brewery in Bavaria. Essentially beer, is just liquid bread. If you taste a pils that has just been made, it honestly tastes of liquid bread, which is weird.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
That is weird, now that you mention it. I assume it's to stabilize the flavor, so it still tastes like Heineken when you get one in Hong Kong, after 10 months of it sitting around a succession of loading docks/warehouses. You'd think they'd do something about 100% of it being skunked, in that case.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
That is weird, now that you mention it. I assume it's to stabilize the flavor, so it still tastes like Heineken when you get one in Hong Kong, after 10 months of it sitting around a succession of loading docks/warehouses. You'd think they'd do something about 100% of it being skunked, in that case.
I think part of it is to stop the yeast. In some cases a little sweeter flavor is desired, and left to their own devices yeasties will continue working off, I'm pretty sure that might only explain part of it though. Hops and alcohol are essentially preservatives so it is par for the course. The whole German purity law is only for labeling. They can still brew malt beverages with other ingredients, they just can't call it beer.