Been playing for 13 years, started taking lessons 2 months ago. My left hand isn't getting anywhere.

PanicPRone

Hello guys,

I've been playing for a long time, but I never took lessons, and even though I really love drumming, I never took it seriously, so I have basic skills and some nasty habits that I gathered troughout the years.

Right now, I'm learning: ghost notes, the basic para diddle, single stroke roll with accents changing from 1 to 4, basic double stroke roll and a few basic rhythms and variations (with and without keeping time on the hi-hats)

I know I'm really at the very beginning... but I'm feeling really frustrated because my left hand (weak hand) isn't getting anywhere.

I can do a few ghost notes and stuff but I don't seem to be building up any strength on it. And overall, I don't seem to be gaining speed on both hands fast.

Any tips?

LeftyDoug

I heard Dave Weckl say that the reason his left hand was as good as his right was because he worked with his left hand twice as much. Most people don't realize this reality. Ability comes with time and work. The results will definately not come overnight but if you put the time in you will see the results eventually.

A

Anthony Amodeo

it's going to take a lot longer than 2 months my friend

keep at it and do what your instructor tells you to do

I can recommend some great exercises for your problems that I use with my students and get fantastic results

but I don't want to step on your instructors toes

you can PM me if you want them

pieplaysdrums

Keep in mind that you have 13yrs of possibly poor muscle memory/bad habits to break. I say just be very patient and methodical and you will see results. Best to ya!

zarrdoss

Gold Member
Try to become as left handed as possible, move your mouse over to your left hand, brush your teeth tie your shoes and try to do as much as possible with your left hand. It was advise I got and seems to be working.

Toolate

Platinum Member
18 months and I am feeling the same. LH is way better than it was but nowhere near the R.

Patience. Relish every little step. Dont look at it as work.

Practice every rudiment/exercise by starting with the LH. Harder than it seems.

N.I.B.

Another good thing to try is to lead with your left hand instead of your right. Instead of crossing your RH over your LH, play open-handed. That alone takes a bit of practice because you have to flip the sticking patterns that you're used to, but it does wonders for taking that first big step to strengthen your left hand.

Liebe zeit

Silver Member
I'm ambidextrous, which means my right hand is strong but lacks control compared to my left, which is weaker in an endurance sense but more contollable/precise. (I play right handed)

Arky

Platinum Member
Great advice in the previous posts.
Doing isolated left hand exercises is what has helped me. I'm noticing it takes so much extra effort to get the left hand noticeably closer to the right - but that's how it is.