BECAUSE YOU ASKED snare toms and metal bathroom trash can

Griffin

Love the trash can cowbell! The snare-toms sound almost like timpanis. Definitely a unique sound but pretty cool.

Darth Vater

Wow ! Wasn't expecting this on hot Saturday night in Pittsburgh. T'was 94* here today! But I digress..........I had to watch this a couple times to try to get an understanding of what's happening here. The closest I can come to any type of reality is when Frank Zappa was on Steve Allen playing a symphony on bicycle spokes. A guitarist buddy of mine and I used to get pretty stoned back in our early 20's and listen to Captain Beefheart. We would laugh until our stomachs hurt. That ultimately led to more Zappa, Pink Floyd, Sun Ra and John Coltrane. Life is quite a roller coaster sometimes.

Your setup is not exactly my cup of tea but my Mother always told me "Don't criticize what you don't understand!" To me the bottom line is, If you have fun playing that set it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Rock on Bruh !

johnwesley

Silver Member
Wow ! Wasn't expecting this on hot Saturday night in Pittsburgh. T'was 94* here today! But I digress..........I had to watch this a couple times to try to get an understanding of what's happening here. The closest I can come to any type of reality is when Frank Zappa was on Steve Allen playing a symphony on bicycle spokes. A guitarist buddy of mine and I used to get pretty stoned back in our early 20's and listen to Captain Beefheart. We would laugh until our stomachs hurt. That ultimately led to more Zappa, Pink Floyd, Sun Ra and John Coltrane. Life is quite a roller coaster sometimes.

Your setup is not exactly my cup of tea but my Mother always told me "Don't criticize what you don't understand!" To me the bottom line is, If you have fun playing that set it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Rock on Bruh !

Interesting you should mention Captain Beefheart. My band shared the bill with him a half dozen times in the San Fran/Bay Area. Pretty strange character. Never met Zappa. He was even stranger. That bicycle bit with Steve Allen is priceless.

Darth Vater

Interesting you should mention Captain Beefheart. My band shared the bill with him a half dozen times in the San Fran/Bay Area. Pretty strange character. Never met Zappa. He was even stranger. That bicycle bit with Steve Allen is priceless.
But what is considered strange? I've always been a fan of avant-garde. When Bowie was recording Aladdin Sane he told his pianist Mike Garson he wanted avant-garde solos to which Garson said "If I do that you might be out of a job with your record label!" Turns out David knew what would work for a truly haunting song.

Otto

Platinum Member
I really like the use of snares without snare wires...just throw off the lever and enjoy a pseudo timbale. Improvised percussion +1! <<tips hat to jw>>

NouveauCliche

Darth Vater in particular seems amazed that I use wireless snare drums as rack toms. Have a listen and tell me what you think. BTW, I have no idea why my phone video recorded me backwards. It looks like I'm a lefty, but I'm not. Weird, and so is uploading to You Tube.

John.

I will never be able to read one of your posts again without doing it in your voice.

Cool kit man!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I can see your setup working for lots of stuff, especially good at getting the toms to cut through the mix, although I think I'd find them a bit short in melodic parts. Love the trash can cow bell - great characterful tone!

vyacheslav

Very cool JW! I love outside the box thinking! Those snares remind me of marching "quads" as far as the sound. I love hearing that as opposed to deep toms with pinstripes, tuned low, with 5 moongels on them.