BEATLOAF - series launch & weekly links.

Andy

Honorary Member
Ok, for those of you who haven't read my Beatloaf intro thread & want more background information, it's here - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116661. For those of you who have, here's the new series I've been banging on about. I'm breaking the rules a bit & launching it here, exclusively for Drummerworld, two days early.

I very rarely ask you all to subscribe & share as widely as possible, but please do, it really helps all involved in many ways. I'm very keen on this, & as the series progresses, it gets better & better :) I think this is a lot of fun, as well as being very informative in a real world way. Jonny & Aaron are both great players & funny guys (without realising it). Nothing forced here, it's as it hits the can - first take, mistakes "n" all. This is not a Guru drums thing, we merely provide the drums. Full explanation on the intro thread linked above.

Anyhow, exclusively for you, here's the first two episodes. One episode per week thereafter. Please share your thoughts too, as they will feed back into the next raft of sessions :) Remember too, David & I are guests on episodes 9 & 10 (oh crap!)

Episode 1 - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCIPqfjnh-Q

Episode 2 - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WApoGDCJ-TA

Twitter - https://twitter.com/BEATLOAFDRUMS

Enjoy - & thanks, Andy.

Hit full screen & HD for the best viewing experience, & throw on some cans :)

Attachments

• beatloaf screenshot4.jpg
    beatloaf screenshot4.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 484
Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice Young Men who play Guru drums - it doesn't get much better than this! Naturally, I have subscribed.

Seriously though: I think the idea is good, and it's really well done too. It's short and pithy, with a good talking:playing ratio. Because of where I am in terms of my drumming experience (and because I have the attention span of a gnat), I often feel overwhelmed when I watch videos - there's often far too much for me to take in. This isn't a great long instructional tome, it's more like opening a window on to bigger things.

Looking forward to the others!

Thanks for sharing.
Happy to spread the word and will learn lots from this, no doubt!
Will view when have proper time (this eve) and come back with any feedback -

As a side note, gorgeous stage set up - did you have an interior designer to help or is this one of your many talents? :)

Looks great Andy, I've subscribed. I've just been informed by one of my bands that they will be working on guitar parts tonight so I've got the evening off to watch them :).

Mark

This isn't a great long instructional tome, it's more like opening a window on to bigger things.
That's a great response Madge, & heartening to hear. All the episodes are short & sweet (3.5 - 4.5 minutes long), so deliberately easy to digest.

As a side note, gorgeous stage set up - did you have an interior designer to help or is this one of your many talents? :)
I'm very interested in your feedback later :) The setting follows the vibe we use for the Guru session videos, only arranged interview style. This is non of my doing, it's a combination of the easy "farmhouse/barn" atmosphere already existing in the studio, & staging by Daniel Broadley (film company).

Looks great Andy, I've subscribed. I've just been informed by one of my bands that they will be working on guitar parts tonight so I've got the evening off to watch them :).

Mark
Please get back here with your thoughts Mark, & thank you for chiming in. I'm at band practice tonight before flying out of the country for a few days, but I'll pick up the thread on my return.

Right, finally watched both episodes - really enjoyed them. The guys are funny and engaging and seem to know their stuff. Cool fills, too. I can just about imaging how much work must have gone into producing just one of these episodes!

Production-wise, there is a great warm feel to the episodes.

Just one observation:
I assume that the guys not taking notice of (speaking to) the camera is intentional? I think this can work, giving the episodes and more informal feel. Wonder if the armchair should be facing towards the drum set a bit more? It seems that the person sitting in the chair is a bit uncomfortable by having to tilt their head far to the left... In other words, the stage set up is facing the camera but the guys are not - I would go one way or the other: either both talking to the camera, or face the guys with each other to create almost a 'hidden camera' effect...

I'm really no expert at at this - so please take this as an amateur observation. Looks like it's growing to be a good series! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Right, finally watched both episodes - really enjoyed them. The guys are funny and engaging and seem to know their stuff. Cool fills, too. I can just about imaging how much work must have gone into producing just one of these episodes!

Production-wise, there is a great warm feel to the episodes.

Just one observation:
I assume that the guys not taking notice of (speaking to) the camera is intentional? I think this can work, giving the episodes and more informal feel. Wonder if the armchair should be facing towards the drum set a bit more? It seems that the person sitting in the chair is a bit uncomfortable by having to tilt their head far to the left... In other words, the stage set up is facing the camera but the guys are not - I would go one way or the other: either both talking to the camera, or face the guys with each other to create almost a 'hidden camera' effect...

I'm really no expert at at this - so please take this as an amateur observation. Looks like it's growing to be a good series! Thanks for sharing it with us!
I see what you mean about the seating position. There's time for refinement a the project progresses :)

Re: amount of work going into each episode - these were all one shot recordings. Setup took under 1 hour, & about 13 episodes were recorded in about 2.5 hours, so very fast & with minimal preparation. With the exception of Aaron & Jonny, it's the same team that works on the Guru session videos, & it's a well oiled machine, with each person knowing their job, & being very good at it :)

Great videos !

Short, informative and to the point.

I like the relaxed and informal setting. Including the broken chair.

that's almost a kickport in that reso.....just sayin..Andy llooooves kickports

I haven't watched yet but will and I will subscribe.

I like the lessons, they're cool. Sometimes I get the feeling they're trying a bit too hard to be funny whereas sometimes they're not. Drums sound amazing :)

I like the lessons, they're cool. Sometimes I get the feeling they're trying a bit too hard to be funny whereas sometimes they're not. Drums sound amazing :)
Thanks :) It may appear as if they're sometimes throwing in funny stuff just for the sake of it, but they are genuinely that silly all the time. Great guys, great players. As a bit of news, I'm having Aaron in as a guest artist on one of our honest capture videos next week:)

Loved it, subscribed and all that jazz.
Thank you! There's another 10 videos in this series. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for all of you (if you value a good laugh at my expense), I feature (under duress) in one episode :(

Love it. Time to take the laptop into the drum room for a session or two, or three....

I haven't watched yet, but when I saw the title, I thought this was going to be about a MeatLoaf tribute band. lol.

Or maybe I just need some more coffee......

Back