Beater impact angle on head

Mastiff

I've noticed my beater hits the head at a slight angle, past 90 degrees. I assume exactly 90 degrees is preferred, but I see no way to adjust anything to change it. Am I missing something? I have a DW5000.

If your beater is like a Ball, or a Pearl Quad-beater, the angle won't matter too much since it's rounded. If it's like some of the speed pedals which have a completely flat-head (like my Trick Pro-1Vs), it definitely matters, but can be adjusted.

For most beater types, you're ok... or you can just get a rounder beater and replace your current one.

If your beater is like a Ball, or a Pearl Quad-beater, the angle won't matter too much since it's rounded. If it's like some of the speed pedals which have a completely flat-head (like my Trick Pro-1Vs), it definitely matters, but can be adjusted.

For most beater types, you're ok... or you can just get a rounder beater and replace your current one.

I'm using the double sided DW beater, plastic side to the head. So it is pretty flat. I noticed it first just because there is no impact marks on the bottom 1/3rd to 1/4th of the beater.

How do you adjust?

I've noticed my beater hits the head at a slight angle, past 90 degrees. I assume exactly 90 degrees is preferred, but I see no way to adjust anything to change it. Am I missing something? I have a DW5000.

Depending on which way you want to go, raise the bass drum spurs to shorten the distance, lower the bass drum spurs to gain distance.

You decide what's 'preferred'. Its all about the feel.

There is an adjustment on the DW 5000, but if you're used to your pedal now that adjustment will jack the feel more than moving the spurs.

Back