Beater angle - but not pedal related

One1

I’m not talking about the angle of the dangle. I’m talking about the dead space between the beater and the batter. I’m only using 25% of the beater on my SCAN’s and the old Ludwig and Pearl kits I’ve had in the past had angled rods to make the beater hit square with the head.

Before i go do and something, should I care?

.....every single search on this topic turned out to be a dangle answer not related to the beater head.

Attachments

• 7CCE64A7-D058-4347-B70F-EDF41D6B28A3.jpeg
    7CCE64A7-D058-4347-B70F-EDF41D6B28A3.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 21
You could sand down your felt beater to an angle where it makes full contact with the head.

It's definitely better to have the beater hit the head as flat as possible, I just don't know if anyone could audibly tell the difference.

I would think it would make the head last longer with a flat hit.

I have had different beaters on my pedal and none hit flat on the batter. I wouldn't be concerned about it. Your photo is much closer than any of mine have been.

It's possible the kits i had before were bent in an attempt to get more throw, but they both came second hand so no history on them. I only noticed this because of having those kits. My pedal won’t sit any further forward to eliminate the over-rotation and perhaps they had the same issue. I just thought being a bass drum it may hit more solid. If nothing else it would disperse across a larger surface and the head may not wear as bad.

Is that a Speed King pedal with the metal linkage instead of a cam and chain? If so, that's a common issue with those pedals, since the cam feel is achieved with an outward protruding link, hence making it impossible to mount the pedal in a way to achieve a parallel strike on the head [without the link wearing a hole in the head].

If it's a cam and chain pedal, well the solution is easy: tilt the bass drum more by extending the legs more, and mount the pedal as close on the hoop as you can.

. . . . .

If it's a cam and chain pedal, well the solution is easy: tilt the bass drum more by extending the legs more, and mount the pedal as close on the hoop as you can.

It actually needs less tilt to be flush with the beater. Either way though, it could affect the feel. When I tilt my bass drum in either direction I can feel it in my doubles, but that's easy enough to remedy with minor adjustments.

It actually needs less tilt to be flush with the beater. Either way though, it could affect the feel. When I tilt my bass drum in either direction I can feel it in my doubles, but that's easy enough to remedy with minor adjustments.

That seems to be the intuition but it turns out to be the opposite. The reason has to do with 'closing the distance' (a phrase out of the movie "Hunt For Red October") before the angle becomes more acute.

This is the stock setup on every set of SCAN’s ever sold so I don’t think it’s “wrong”, just wonder if it can be better.

That seems to be the intuition but it turns out to be the opposite. The reason has to do with 'closing the distance' (a phrase out of the movie "Hunt For Red October") before the angle becomes more acute.

Oooh. Excellent, thanks. Steer right until this reads three one five.

Given differences in various manufacturers’ hoop widths and pedal designs, this is a fairly common scenario.

If maximizing the life of the beater and/or the sound of impact are the concern, using an alternate beater that matches the angle of the head can be used...

— For traditional round-style beaters, something like Tama’s CLBF30 Classic Felt beater with its slightly conical shape may be appropriate:

— Alternatively, for more flat-style beaters, so called “self-aligning” or “self-leveling” beaters are available from a number of different manufacturers such as DW & Gibraltar to Tama & Trick to others. For example, DW’s DWSM110 Control beater is one such option:

Additionally, if the mismatch in angle is a result of the beater shaft rotating past the vertical, some loss of efficiency/performance can also be a concern. To address this, selecting a self-aligning beater with a longer horizontal head such as ACD’s Dynamic beater and others may be appropriate. However, sometimes even these aren’t sufficiently long and an offset beater shaft adapter is required... such as ACD’s Beater Shifter:

(Scroll down)

Rhumbagirl, “....so, that's a common issue with those pedals, since the cam feel is achieved with an outward protruding link, hence making it impossible to mount the pedal in a way to achieve a parallel strike on the head [without the link wearing a hole in the head].”
There are 2 versions of the SK: standard depth hoop version and the deep hoop version(which will wear a hole in a head of standard bass.) Use a pencil at the hoop if you have one of those with shorter “wings.”

Rhumbagirl, “....so, that's a common issue with those pedals, since the cam feel is achieved with an outward protruding link, hence making it impossible to mount the pedal in a way to achieve a parallel strike on the head [without the link wearing a hole in the head].”
There are 2 versions of the SK: standard depth hoop version and the deep hoop version(which will wear a hole in a head of standard bass.) Use a pencil at the hoop if you have one of those with shorter “wings.”

The Speed King's a squeaker anyway. How many of us have one we first learned on and stuck in a box somewhere? LOL

I try to get close as possible then I just add those stick on felt round pads (for leg chairs) to plastic side of beater where it will sit flat (because my beater is rounded). My beater I can actually adjust the beater angle to make it flat regardless , but screw that crap I just stick those felt pads so it's flat- cause I'm incredibly lazy. As they wear they get flatter then punk out so stick on a new one. I appreciate people get finicky about this stuff but I think about past eras when people had crap instruments and played incredible music-because the were incredibly talented and could take a rough cut and make it a diamond. Makes me feel like a prima donna but Viva La Difference" LOL.

I have a couple of these Tama CB90F adjustable/interchangeable beater head contraptions and I really like them. (So, why aren't they in use on one or two of my pedals? Because, honestly, I forgot that I had them until this thread! Gotta dig them out, now.)

GeeDeeEmm

Products33266-1200x1200-1061790.jpg

Back