bearing edge and ply question

opentune

Platinum Member
Shown is the bearing edge from some Gretsch drums I have, sold to me used and with no info on their exact lineage.
Can any wood experts out there tell me if the inner and outer plies are maple (my guess)? if not what do you think they are? (or any of the plies for that matter..one darker appears to me as mahogany, another lighter one as poplar)

Also would you say this is a 30 or 45 degree edge (I tried but it seems not so easy to measure with a simple protractor). Any references to other online resources for ID welcome. Thanks.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Extremely difficult to tell from this photo. Do you have photo's from different angles? Especially with regards to the bearing edge question, as from this one photo, I'm wondering if there's even an edge machined at all.

opentune

Platinum Member
haha thanks thats funny. I can see now from your perspective you can't see the slope on the edge (i.e. looks flat) , but there is indeed one, and its a pretty sharp one. I should have taken a more oblique angle shot. This drum is now covered up with a head and will take me awhile to remove the head and do another pic of the edge.

BUT now I know *you* know your woods - how about the ply types? Any ideas? I see 5 plies.

opentune

Platinum Member
What line are the Gretsch? should say on the badge
Well thats part of the enigma. Sold to me as "gretsch maple" 5 years ago actually, for pretty cheap, but they sounded good. They were unwrapped and stored fro a long time, then re-finished.
I thought they were a Catalina kit, say from 90's early 2000's. Drum sizes fit BUT from what I read, Catalinas used Birch or Mahogany shells then, not Maple. So maybe these are not maple? Part of my question. They sure look maple.

To clarify - badges are 8 sided, post 1980's type (not octagon or 'stop signs'), do not say USA, shell an interior unpainted..... so they are offshore ...at least by my detective work.

Now to the plies?

P

PDPx7Drummer

Well thats part of the enigma. Sold to me as "gretsch maple" 5 years ago actually, for pretty cheap, but they sounded good. They were unwrapped and stored fro a long time, then re-finished.
I thought they were a Catalina kit, say from 90's early 2000's. Drum sizes fit BUT from what I read, Catalinas used Birch or Mahogany shells then, not Maple. So maybe these are not maple? Part of my question. They sure look maple.

To clarify - badges are 8 sided, post 1980's type (not octagon or 'stop signs'), do not say USA, shell an interior unpainted..... so they are offshore ...at least by my detective work.

Now to the plies?
That looks like plywood....

Not trying to be mean or put your equipment down but I've never seen a drum with what looks like 3 1/8" thick plys and then a 1/16" inch inner ply before and the grain reminds me of plywood for some reason. Like others say post more pictures, ones that show the bearing edge better, the finish, badges etc.

At first I too thought it looked like a recut drum with a flat bearing edge.....

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Take the heads off your PDP's........bet you London to a brick you find plywood.

If I'm right, you can buy me a drink.....if not, I'll buy you one. I'm pretty confident though so while you're opening your wallet, I like Jack Daniels, but will never say no to a Stoli and tonic either. :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
There indeed 5 plies in the picture and those are plies of wood I would guess to be luaun or mahogany. Do not confuse plies of wood with pine plywood that you find in Home Depot or other home improvement centers. they are not the same. Also some drums will have equal plies on the interior and a thinner finish ply on the inside and outside deeding on the brand. Being that they are Gretsch my guess is that they are Mahogany.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Take the heads off your PDP's........bet you London to a brick you find plywood.

If I'm right, you can buy me a drink.....if not, I'll buy you one. I'm pretty confident though so while you're opening your wallet, I like Jack Daniels, but will never say no to a Stoli and tonic either. :)
I'm quite partial to Jägermeister. I also like ale, preferably a Porter or a Stout, around 5%-6% ABV. Generally, the darker the better but also deep reds are fine.

P

PDPx7Drummer

LMAO! Well you know what I meant lol! Grunter does. When I look at that bearing edge I see the side of plywood I work with when roofing houses lol! :D

Although I never really knew what that kind of wood was, I just wanted to nail it down and get the hell off the roof lol. :)

opentune

Platinum Member

Not trying to be mean or put your equipment down but I've never seen a drum with what looks like 3 1/8" thick plys and then a 1/16" inch inner ply before and the grain reminds me of plywood for some reason. Like others say post more pictures, ones that show the bearing edge better, the finish, badges etc.

At first I too thought it looked like a recut drum with a flat bearing edge.....
Hey, its OK, if you don;t know the answer on this or any other thread, then no need to reply.

opentune

Platinum Member
There indeed 5 plies in the picture and those are plies of wood I would guess to be luaun or mahogany. Do not confuse plies of wood with pine plywood that you find in Home Depot or other home improvement centers. they are not the same. Also some drums will have equal plies on the interior and a thinner finish ply on the inside and outside deeding on the brand. Being that they are Gretsch my guess is that they are Mahogany.
No confusion here with drum plies vs. plywood for roofing and home improvements.
Thanks for your constructive answer. Your guess would fit with what limited Grestch catalogs for this age would say.

P

PDPx7Drummer

Hey, its OK, if you don;t know the answer on this or any other thread, then no need to reply.
Nobody else knows the answer either so calm down killer. My posts were in jest to myself. I said above that I meant no harm in my posts.

So how about them pictures?