BB Clone

KamaK

Platinum Member
First time poster.

I'm looking for a Ludwig Black Beauty clone with a price I can sneak under my wife's (financial) radar. The consensus from various reviews and some googling seems to be the "WorldMax Black Dawg". Are there any other snares that I should give consideration to in the $300-ish range?

I noticed that the 5x14's are hard to find. The only reasonable link I came across was here. The other was on the Worldmax homepage with double the price tag. Is there another place around where these can be acquired, or should I just wait out the re-stock? Surprisingly, google seems to turn up only a single other (UK based) dealer and a bunch of reviews.

From what I have gathered here, the WorldMax is a fine choice. I don't remember ever hearing a bad word about them, only praise. I'd say if you can get one for the price you want, don't overthink it, just go for it. Any other BB clones aren't going to be any better. There are a few different clones to choose from, and I understand they are all good choices. I think I even remember hearing that the BB clone shells all originate from the same factory, but don't quote me on that.

I owned a BB for 8 years, 6.5X14 bought new with tubes and diecast and P86 with smooth shell. Let me add my .02$

I bought a World Max 7X13 hammered brass recently. It was a lovely snare and would recommend it to anyone. Naturally, it wasn't apple to apples with my Ludwig but close.

Last week I picked up a lacquered brass Gretsch Legend 6.5X14 with smooth shell, 16 lugs, triple flanged and double adjustable strainer. This drum rocks! Much more of an apples to apples comparison. It doesn't have all the subtle nuances of the BB but at nearly a quarter of the price (under $200 new) it is easily 90% of the Ludwig.

I would suggest searching for new or used brass drums with the features you want. There are some smoking deals out there. I was leaning towards a Pearl Sensitone Elite brass too but once the Gretsch deal came up, I couldn't resist. The take-away from my recent experience is that the Black Beauty is an amazing drum, deserving of all its praise, but for half the cost, or less, any quality brand name brass snare will give you 80-90% of the character of a BB. That's value and now I just love the Gretsch that much more.

I have a N.O.B. Pearl Sensitone Elite and polished brass World Max. Both are great drums for the price. I think Pearl sources the shells from World Max,anyway. The drums are identical ,with the exception of the Nickel plating on the Pearl. They sound good enough keep me from splurging on a BB. I still want one but I will wait for the amazing Craigslist deal. :)

I've had good experiences with pearl and I think I'd go for the sensitone.

Or you could for go for a used BB.

I took a look at the Gretsch, but was unable to find them for the price indicated, and in a 5" size.

I did find the Perl that was suggested for the right price and size, but really had my heart set on the BB ascetic.

I see now that Ludwig appears to manufacture their own overseas BB knockoffs in the form of the Black Magic. If only Black on Black were my thing.

How do people typically go about purchasing a used BB? Do simply put a "WTB: 5x14 BB $500" in the classifieds section of the forum and wait it out?

First time poster.

I'm looking for a Ludwig Black Beauty clone with a price I can sneak under my wife's (financial) radar. The consensus from various reviews and some googling seems to be the "WorldMax Black Dawg". Are there any other snares that I should give consideration to in the $300-ish range?

I noticed that the 5x14's are hard to find. The only reasonable link I came across was here. The other was on the Worldmax homepage with double the price tag. Is there another place around where these can be acquired, or should I just wait out the re-stock? Surprisingly, google seems to turn up only a single other (UK based) dealer and a bunch of reviews.

If you can find one, the old Steve Ferrone Pearl signature snare was pretty much a copy of a BB. It's a 14x6.5" brass shell. Do a search for one. If I recall, there were a few Youtube clips out there that feature one.

I have one and it sounds great. It's not a BB but it's really, really close. Heads and tuning...and even different drummers...make a world of difference.

Oh yeah...I just thought of a video that has one. Search for Ronnie Earl and "Hope Radio". The entire record was filmed. His drummer, Lorne Entress, uses the SF snare a lot.

Pork Pie Big Black Brass - You can find these for ~$150 used, and it sounded so close to the Ludwig Black Beauty I used to own, that I sold it and kept the Pork Pie.

Now I own neither, but I think I've just decided that brass isn't for me when it comes to snares - I much prefer the warmer tone of aluminum in my LM402 ;)

First time poster.

I'm looking for a Ludwig Black Beauty clone with a price I can sneak under my wife's (financial) radar. T

I second the many choices.

Unrelated, I will bet your wife deep down would actually appreciate you not 'sneak under a radar' and you actually say straight up "dammit I want a Black Beauty because its really important to me".

Maybe you return the favour with something frivolous she wants. Though hey, nothing frivolous about a snare drum :)

Just sayin' ...

I did a blind test between my BO badge 70s black beauty and my Pork Pie Big Black Brass in a drum shop. Everyone went for the Pork Pie.

Or you could tell your wife how important the sound of a Black Beauty is to you, how it would strengthen the bond of your relationship and how it would obviously be a wonderful gesture on her part if she allowed you to buy a snare drum that bore the most famous name on drums.

You may have guessed that I'm Divorced, no?

Thanx again for all the help. It looks like I've found a used PorkPie BBB for $150 that will hold me until my wife gives me my man-card back. I've been on a Chudwig Accent snare for the last 6 months and I'll be relieved to finally give it the boot and play on something musical.

Unrelated, I will bet your wife deep down would actually appreciate you not 'sneak under a radar' and you actually say straight up "dammit I want a Black Beauty because its really important to me".

Wives never appreciate "straight up" my friend. Drum manufacturers know this and that's why drum cases were invented. They are all round, they are all black and to the untrained eye they all look exactly the same.......all they know is that you have far too many of them. This averts their focus towards the round, black cases cluttering up the joint, while keeping them blissfully unaware of what treasures lie within.....especially new treasures like nickel on brass snare drums.

Absolutely perfect for sneaking unappreciated drum purchases straight past the aforementioned untrained eye. It's a tried and tested method that has seen me safely through several long term relationships and a current wife. :)

.......until my wife gives me my man-card back........

Ah, a newly wed I take it? :)

Thanx again for all the help. It looks like I've found a used PorkPie BBB for $150 that will hold me until my wife gives me my man-card back. I've been on a Chudwig Accent snare for the last 6 months and I'll be relieved to finally give it the boot and play on something musical.

That's a great deal. You're sure to love it. Congrats.

Back