BB 8x14 or Q Drum Copper 7x14?

Drum Guy

Got a great 5.5x14 Canopus hammered Bronze snare - wondered which snare below would be more of a contrast to the Canopus before I spend the $:

Q Drum 7x14 seamless Copper or the one and only Luddy 8x14 Black Beauty seamless brass? I do want those sizes, not any shallower.

thanks

I had a 5.5x14 Q drum copper last year, so well made and great sound. Tried a Luddy copper 8x14 last year as well, not as robust as the Q drum. Lighter weight and lighter sound.

BUT I have steel, aluminum, and now bronze...just thought I'd narrow it down to BB 8x14 or the Q. Just not sure if either would be redundant given the bronze snare.

Anybody with great ears and experience if Bronze matches copper or brass better? I'll take the opposite therefore.

I have the Q gentlemen’s 7x14 seamless copper and it is an extraordinary drum. Better built with superior components to the BB in my opinion. Copper will be closer to bronze than brass in most cases but if I’ve learned anything over the years, it’s that not all drums follow expectations for their type.

agree 100% re: Q Drum build quality...I suppose resale value would be about the same as well...just looking for a metal sound to complete my snare arsenal - 6 wood, 3 metal...wanted maybe brass or copper. Seems like copper is darker than brass sound-wise, beginning to think might be better choice against bronze, but not sure. Black beauty is still waving at me for some reason.

Or honestly, are these 2 metals so close to bronze, don't waste my $? They're both over $800 to $900

That's kinda a tough question. The trick is you're considering either a copper or a copper alloy shell to contrast with a copper alloy drum.

I think the steel and aluminum snares are already your contrast drums. If you buy another copper-ish drum you may want to choose what qualities you like about the bronze drum and choose a new drum that will accentuate that quality.

I'd also say the 8" deep Black Beauty is going to be wetter and ringier and give you a longer note that the 5" hammered bronze. That might satisfy your desire for contrast but I'm not sure it'll be a striking difference.

You may want to try an 8x14 Black Magic snare instead. That way you'd get a feel for the sound of a deep black brass snare for less than half the price of the Black Beauty.

Full disclosure I have no experience with the Q Drum seamless Copper snare.

Bermuda tipped me off last year on the 8" X 14" Black Beauty snare for gigging. I never gave much thought to ever owning a Black Beauty but after picking up one in the 8" depth, I've got to say if you're only going to own one Black Beauty for general playing, go for the 8 incher. It sounds like the 6-1/2" deep Black Beauty but with fuller body.

Full disclosure I have no experience with the Q Drum seamless Copper snare.

Bermuda tipped me off last year on the 8" X 14" Black Beauty snare for gigging. I never gave much thought to ever owning a Black Beauty but after picking up one in the 8" depth, I've got to say if you're only going to own one Black Beauty for general playing, go for the 8 incher. It sounds like the 6-1/2" deep Black Beauty but with fuller body.

And to someone that owns a 6.5" BB, that's really saying something! :)

I love my 8x14 BB and my 6.5 Copperphonic, they're tied for my favorite snares. I also have an 8x14 Copperphonic and 6.5 BB, and they're both great, but the others just excel. I know you would be thrilled with either one.

Bermuda

If someone is looking for an incredibly well-made and sounding COPPER snare, Q drums is your friend (I did have their 5.5x14 once) - but it sounds like for my current desires, based on most remarks, I'll probably get the 8x14 BB in a couple weeks if I can.

Thanks to all for helpful comments and experiences....always a great forum.

I have the Q gentlemen’s 7x14 seamless copper and it is an extraordinary drum. Better built with superior components to the BB in my opinion. Copper will be closer to bronze than brass in most cases but if I’ve learned anything over the years, it’s that not all drums follow expectations for their type.

REALLY liking that :) Sounds phenominal.

Back