Bass tuning and size

dnt

Hey all! Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to tune a 22-24” kick drum with actual tone - not a just the typical thump/slap sound? Only kick I’ve ever heard that actually sounds like a complimentary tone is a 20” Gretsch Renown with a basic Evans EMAD. Thanks!

dboomer

Sacrilege!

Tone comes mostly from the resonant head. Don’t put a hole in it. Tune it a 4th or 5th higher than the batter and set your beater to hit about 2” above or below center on the batter.

opentune

Platinum Member
Its possible to tune anything to tone.
Yes tighten down on tension rods and then no 'slap' sound. I tune my resonant head almost timpani tight, batter to taste, but definitely tighter than JAW.

Reactions: dnt

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I find most pre-muffled bass heads (like an EMAD) sound best when tuned up to the point where they produce a discernible pitch, with the reso side tuned to make the drum's overall sound to my liking.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Hey all! Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to tune a 22-24” kick drum with actual tone - not a just the typical thump/slap sound?
Sure. Take any kick drum, buy single-ply heads for both the reso and the batter. Don't cut a hole in the reso. Crank it and play it. Tone for days. Would I do this? Nope, because the music I play requires the thump/slap sound, preferably miked and run through subs. I'm not a fan of a resonant tone from a kick drum, but that's just me.

Reactions: dnt