Bass technique issue

Ronzo

So recently I started to develop a ghost note after the odd bass hit.
Not intentional.
I should add that I was previously burying the pedal and now I am trying to not bury the pedal.
I have played around with spring tension, floor board height, beater angle and technique.
After doing some research other suggestions include loosening the reso head as well as porting it.
Is there a correlation on port size related to bass drum size? For example, 4” reso for 20” bass and 5” for 22” bass?
Any recommendations on best made port?
Pls let me know as well as any other suggestions you may have.

Last edited:

One Up One Down

I used a compass (like from a geometry set) to port my bass drum -- easy to do and difficult to screw up which is perfect for me. Here's a video, but there are many others I think:

toddbishop

Platinum Member
That should be purely a technique thing-- you're putting enough pressure on the pedal after the main stroke, that it's causing a little rebound to sound. Just practice getting the beater away from the head cleanly-- relaxing your foot after the main note if playing heel up, or deliberately bringing your toe up if playing heel down.

You could also take advantage of the free double, and learn to make that into an on-purpose, powerful double. I would do both things-- make the accidental double into a real double, and clean up your single notes so you don't do the accidental double.

Ronzo

Usually not a fan of browns, but that chocolate satin is silky smooth. Sexual chocolate!
Thanks a lot. Not flashy but get lots of + comments.
Funny story...When I bought these the guy tried to sell me on the black liquorice but I already had the snare in chocolate.
I told him I wanted the chocolate because I do not like the smell of black liquorice.
He paused and looked at me with a puzzled look.
So I said, “That is a special colour line Yamaha put out. The reason all the finishes are named what they are (caramel, butterscotch, candy apple, chocolate and black liquorice) was because they are scratch and sniff right below the badges.”
Hand to heart, he scratch the black liquorice one right in front of me. By the time he turned around I was almost on the floor laughing.

Attachments

Last edited:

iCe

It looks like you're not using muffling in the bass drum? If you still experience too much rebound, try to put a rolled up towel (Simon Phillips method) with some tape to the batter head. It reduces bounce without sacrificing too much boom compared to a pillow.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
A port and towel are what I use, but that is more sound related. I like a boom more than a boing, or a shorter punchy note.

As far as rebound, throne height, throne position, batter head, reso head, spring tension, pedal board height, beater distance, spring tension, beater height are all things to consider. Start with EVERYTHING in the middle, and make very small adjustments and play for a bit. Each chance effects another one and it can take a while to figure out. If you really hammer the kit vs play with a light touch there will be a difference too.