Bass guitar- fairly simple to learn?

justadrummer

Screen name, as the kids say, does not check out. :)

True.

Although...

"In 1975 at age sixteen I played my first paying gig as a drummer, I didn't touch a bass again until 2008. I was a drummer."

And...

justadrummer
Junior Member 62 From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
USA

My major stroke occurred January 31, 2008, seventy days after I joined this forum with this screen name.
(I think those two events were unrelated.)

:)

Rock Salad

If you have a little skill as a drummer and some ear/mental capacity for notes and harmony, I think you could pick up bass guitar quickly. I am doing the reverse, coming from bass guitar to drums, and I think I am coming along fairly quickly.
Of course learning any instrument is limitless and they all have unplumbed depths.
Try it out, see how you like it. Bass players are in demand. I just didn't care to be that guy anymore.

MG1127

anyone can learn to play any instrument

the question is can you play it well?

playing bass is not plucking notes in time

go watch Leland Sklar, Christian McBride ... listen to Carol Kaye, James Jamerson

then we can talk about how "simple" bass is to learn

justadrummer

Wow, that's pretty inspiring Mike. How long did it take to get back up and playing again?

Also, love the "e-gadd" joke in your signature. First time I've seen that one.

The major stroke happened the last day of January in 2008.

The first time that I played in front of people again was the spring of 2010. A good friend pretty much forced me to sit in on his gig. Three months later I joined a band again. I ended up playing between one and three nights a week for the next nine years.

SVBJECT

Fairly new to drums but noticed the obvious correlation between drum and the bass riff. But drums have many combinations simultaneously playing , at different rhythms whereas the bass guitar hasn’t and is usually along a simple, slower tune?
Not wishing to deride bass players, just thinking out loud that perhaps it would be comparatively simpler to learn?
Agreed, looks real easy

No Way Jose

Silver Member
It might be easier to move a bass guitar and amp to a gig than a drum kit.

I wouldn't say bass is easy.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

anyone can learn to play any instrument

the question is can you play it well?

playing bass is not plucking notes in time

go watch Leland Sklar, Christian McBride ... listen to Carol Kaye, James Jamerson

then we can talk about how "simple" bass is to learn

so true...and so misunderstood....just like saying that "playing drums is just grabbing the sticks and whacking"....which A LOT of people ,and (sadly) other musicians think is true

all performers need to understand that "getting the right notes/rhythms" is only one small facet of playing an instrument, and - to me- is honestly the easiest part. Understanding bigger picture roles is what separates the good from the mediocre, and makes things "hard"...the intangibles.

I did not underdstand that question as "is bass easy at all levels" but as "is it easy to learn the basics?" - of course it can be just as hard as any instrument if you want to play like Joe Dart, NHOP or Victor Wooten. Compared to trumpet or violin that require a lot of control just to produce one note, (electric) bass is more rewarding in the beginning because you can play a simple song on day 1 - a trumpet student might still not be able to hit one correct note for half a second. If the learning curve is easier than drums probably depends on the person - for example, some people have a hard time using their feet.

Birdy

Yes, basic was what I was thinking of..

iwearnohats

Silver Member
Honestly, I did buy a bass with the intent of learning, but due to a mixture of a lack of time and attention I haven't touched it as much as I would like.

It might be easy to learn where the notes are and move your fingers around - e.g., compared to guitar you are far less likely to play chords. But to make it sound good is definitely to just hitting the right notes and playing in time.

If you want to sound good at ANY instrument you need to learn its nuances and subtleties. Muting the unplayed strings is vital on a bass guitar, and using the correct intensity and playing technique to get the best tone.

Now, personal experience: Bass is a really fun instrument to play around with, and it's easy to improvise a little and develop correct techniques at the same time. Keep the string muting as a priority right from the beginning and you'll be off to a really good start. And like all instruments, true mastery requires a hell of a lot of work and dedication.