bass drum technic

nyak

Hey,
I,m a self taught drummer struggling with my bass drum technic
I play heel up not burying my beater and I rest my feet flat on the board between hits

My question is about preparing for a double stroke...I think a develop a bad habit and I would like to have the opinion of more experiment drummer on this
without really thinking about it what i do when i play a double stroke is as i start in a resting position my foot flat on the pedal as my heel comes up it produces kind of a tap on the bass drum for the first hit and then as my heel comes down the second hit occures more accented... it looks like the motion of my right hand when i play the hi hat accenting the down beat and ghosting the up beat.... what i find is that its difficult the keep the same dynamic with the first it of the double,
is it about practicing or should i reconsider how to play two consecutive note (double)
sometime i think its also about independance as i notice that when i play a bass drum double stroke starting on the down beat, my tap is produce by a downward motion where I slide my foot on the footboard...

so i m curious to hear if some drummers are or was on that path...
thanks in advance for your advice

Rock Salad

I am also a beginner. I am finding that it is less of an actual technique issue (for me,) than knowing exactly when to time the hits. When I really concentrate on training rhythm and subdivision on my foot/leg the technique comes naturally. It seems that my foot rushes in anticipation of doing something tricky, so training in proper subdivisions fixes it. As far as volume goes, maybe pick your foot up just a little before starting, to give it potential for as much power as you want.
If that doesn't help youtube has got about five million instructional videos on single pedal doubles.

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
Hey,
I,m a self taught drummer struggling with my bass drum technic
I play heel up not burying my beater and I rest my feet flat on the board between hits

My question is about preparing for a double stroke...I think a develop a bad habit and I would like to have the opinion of more experiment drummer on this
without really thinking about it what i do when i play a double stroke is as i start in a resting position my foot flat on the pedal as my heel comes up it produces kind of a tap on the bass drum for the first hit and then as my heel comes down the second hit occures more accented... it looks like the motion of my right hand when i play the hi hat accenting the down beat and ghosting the up beat.... what i find is that its difficult the keep the same dynamic with the first it of the double,
is it about practicing or should i reconsider how to play two consecutive note (double)
sometime i think its also about independance as i notice that when i play a bass drum double stroke starting on the down beat, my tap is produce by a downward motion where I slide my foot on the footboard...

so i m curious to hear if some drummers are or was on that path...
thanks in advance for your advice
What you are describing is kind of like a heel toe motion I think. I have always played heel up for 50 years now. I just went and analyzed on my kit how I perform a double stroke.My heel comes up and then I played two quick notes using the ball of my foot (which is just behind your toes) as the pressure point. using the ball of my foot two quick snaps with my ankle also pushing down with my leg. Then my heel goes back down to resting point.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You are already doing the right thing mechanically right here for doubles, your motion just needs modification.

Play your first note the same way you play every other note. Then instead of setting your heel down, with your foot still parallel to the floor and the beater returned from the first stroke, drop your foot to the floor. It will give you your second stroke, plus your foot is flat on the pedal now, just like you normally do.