Bass Drum Sound Survey: Short Thud or Bonham Boom

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
It completely depends on the situation. I play death metal sometimes, so I need a very fast, almost clicky sound. But when I'm doing jazz or latin stuff, I like the kit very open. There's a broad range between those extremes, of course.

I prefer the short thud. Plenty of muffling and a ported reso head. This allows me to use the kick drum to accent the music because of its attack and presence.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Good attack with some body underneath. Usually there won't be much in the way of muffling, something very light just touching the head and flopping off of it when I hit the beater, and then falling back onto it. The front head is tuned low but still resonates freely, with no hole. It makes my 20" sound big and powerful, more than you'd think it would.

Morbid Koala

Right sound for the right gig. I'm thankful I get to play in a band that allows for a 26" drum sound.

But yeah, if you're playing any kind of metal (aside from doom/sludge, etc) you definitely need a very focused 'punch' sound I would imagine.

I'd think a very good mixture/compromise of both would be by using an old 14"x24" Vistalite or Fibes.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Love a big thundering bass drum for loud music. However, I'm playing in an Afro-Funk band now and I need more punch than boom. 24" w/ minimal muffling and no port, for rock. 20" w/ a small bass drum pillow up against the batter head, 5" port on reso, for funk.

Zickosdrummer

Personally, I like a booming sound, but not too booming. I have a "Remo Muff"l" on three of my BD batter heads and a felt strip on the ressos. It gives me a big sound without rumbling. I bought them when a music store was forced out of business (90% off). At the time I don't know if I would have paid retail for them but I love what they do for the drums and I probably would now.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Which sound do you prefer: Muffled and short or big thunderous boom?
I'd like to be like Stanton Moore and carry two bass drums: one tuned loud and open and the other single-headed and muffled. But that would put me outside of my 5'x 6' area on stage....

A

audiotech

I don't port any of my bass drums, so I go for a short thunderous boom. I can vary that sound to a great degree by the way I tune my resonant heads.

Dennis

the.drummer.kid

I loosen my bass drum head all the way 'til it's all wrinkled. I dampen it just so that it has a little resonance. The reason why I loosen it that much is so that it's very "clicky" and has a lot of attack. It's ideal for the type of music that my band plays, because my bass drum has to pierce through a lot of distortion.

mrmike

Silver Member
I use my 22 for most things and it's tuned somewhere in between with a DW hour glass pillow just touching both heads and tuned up a bit but not real tight. This seems to cover a lot of ground with a bit of sustain without loosing definition. I do sometimes throw a blanket in which hearkens back to my youth. You can really hear each stroke from my lightning fast foot work (roll eyes) with the short note.

My 18 inch is PS3's tuned wide open with no holes in the reso but I am contemplating using an added felt strip.

funkytomtom

Love a big thundering bass drum for loud music. However, I'm playing in an Afro-Funk band now and I need more punch than boom. 24" w/ minimal muffling and no port, for rock. 20" w/ a small bass drum pillow up against the batter head, 5" port on reso, for funk.
That's exactly my set-up. I was thinking the other day about how it sucks to not just want one sick drum set-up, but actually want two or possibly three to encompass all the different sounds one could need. At least I already have two bass drums!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I use an Emad2 batter. Small ring in for mic work, ring off for acoustic. My current 20" kick gives me a nice attack with controlled boom for acoustic, a more focussed boom for mic work. Pretty much covers the bases for me. That said, I crave for a specific kick sound. A sort of thunderous deep, yet almost hollow sound with a breath undertone. Best I can decribe it really. I'll need a very special kick arrangement to get that sound. I'm hopeful my new kick will be exactly that!

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I don't want quite a short thud, more like if you said "thumb" very quickly and deeply. Just a tiny bit of resonance. A tiny bit.