Bass drum riser help

James Pickle

Good afternoon all!
I just purchased a new bop kit and so far, I'm having a bad time working with the 18 inch bass drum. I purchased a Gibraltar riser and as you can see, my new beater and head are not good friends. Could anyone advise me as to how to eliminate this problem? I've leveled the BD and adjusted the cam as best I could to eliminate the angle. This is my first time using such a small kit so I'm stumped. The reason why I'm using the riser is simply that I've read all about the sound advantages but so far, I've kinda had it. Thanks all for your help.
IMG_3124.JPGIMG_3122.JPGIMG_3119.JPG

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm not sure if this will work. It might, it might not. Looking at the thing online, it appears to have 2 pieces. Put the pedal clamp part behind the riser part. This will put the pedal clamp part back farther, and thus your pedal closer. I will say, from the second pic, it doesn't look like your chain and footboard really have much clearance. They might contact the hoop.

Mustion

Try raising the front of the kick drum more. But that riser definitely has you clamping the pedal too far back so it may not be enough.

Depending how married you are to the Iron Cobra, you might consider ditching the riser and pick up a Tama HP50 "Classic" pedal, which is height-adjustable and perfect for smaller kick drums.

James Pickle

I'm not sure if this will work. It might, it might not. Looking at the thing online, it appears to have 2 pieces. Put the pedal clamp part behind the riser part. This will put the pedal clamp part back farther, and thus your pedal closer. I will say, from the second pic, it doesn't look like your chain and footboard really have much clearance. They might contact the hoop.
Thank you!! I'll see if I can try this tonight.....I'm not really "hooped" on this whole riser thing.....

James Pickle

Try raising the front of the kick drum more. But that riser definitely has you clamping the pedal too far back so it may not be enough.

Depending how married you are to the Iron Cobra, you might consider ditching the riser and pick up a Tama HP50 "Classic" pedal, which is height-adjustable and perfect for smaller kick drums.
Thank you and no, I'm not married to anything anymore equipment wise. I've been eyeing lighter weight pedals lately too.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
That riser doesn't look like it goes underneath the bass drum enough so when you clip on pedal it can get close enough. From looking at that riser it doesn't look like it has much adjustment. You could take off the pedal clip and flip it backwards (so more underneath drum) and I note it has holes you could use to attach a new 1/4 wood piece that would raise it up a bit and you could cut the piece so your new pedal would abut just right. 10403422_800.jpg

James Pickle

Well, I just removed the dam thing and I'm fine.....
And given the news the Neil Peart just died, I'm playing my ass off tonight. Thank you everyone .

harryconway

Platinum Member
The Yamaha duck foot. Comes stock on the Manu Katche Jr. (16") kick drum. I have one of those and it works great. I'm really considering modifying my 18" 9000 series bass drum with one. My RMV 18" kick has a similar (their version) unit and I think these little drums gain a lot more presence when you get them up off the floor.

Attachments

James Pickle

I just tried this and no luck.....

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I have the same issue with a Gretsch Catalina and a Tama pedal. No matter how you modify the riser, the chain still has to sit outside the wooden hoop. I bought one of these beaters on ebay - a Sonor copy, and it reaches a bit further plus it has a curved felt so it can hit at an angle and still sound full.
A more drastic approach is to cut into the wooden hoop, or get a narrower hoop. You could buy a spare hoop for the batter side and make it narrower for 3-4 inches.

Attachments

James Pickle

The Yamaha duck foot. Comes stock on the Manu Katche Jr. (16") kick drum. I have one of those and it works great. I'm really considering modifying my 18" 9000 series bass drum with one. My RMV 18" kick has a similar (their version) unit and I think these little drums gain a lot more presence when you get them up off the floor.
Thank you for your pictures and recommendations. I gotta ask you about that Yamaha pedal: I've been looking at that model and would love to get your opinion on it.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I gotta ask you about that Yamaha pedal: I've been looking at that model and would love to get your opinion on it.
I sourced those pictures off the interweb .... however .... I played the earlier version of that pedal for years. The Yamaha Flying Dragon, direct drive. Great pedal .... still own one. Right now I'm playing the Pearl P930/932 longboards. Just to give longboards a try.

James Pickle

I sourced those pictures off the interweb .... however .... I played the earlier version of that pedal for years. The Yamaha Flying Dragon, direct drive. Great pedal .... still own one. Right now I'm playing the Pearl P930/932 longboards. Just to give longboards a try.
Thank you.