Bass drum response..

\o/

Sorry if i'm repeating threads but i couldn't find anything on this topic with the answer i wanted.

Anyway, my bass drum feels pretty flimsy when i'm beating it, yet if i tune it so the skin is really firm it starts sounding more like a tom. Is there any way i can get a good balance between response and sound? Would tightening the pedal response up help?

whoreian

Sorry if i'm repeating threads but i couldn't find anything on this topic with the answer i wanted.

Anyway, my bass drum feels pretty flimsy when i'm beating it, yet if i tune it so the skin is really firm it starts sounding more like a tom. Is there any way i can get a good balance between response and sound? Would tightening the pedal response up help?
tightening the pedal response wont really help.in terms of the bass drum feel,it may help if you like to really dig into the bass drum meaning not letting the beater leave the head.

try some muffling.place a pillow in there if you havent already.dont put more than one it will start to mute your bass drum and it'll sound like a big plastic container.

if you want good response and sound,tune the resonant head(the head you dont hit) looser than the batter(the head you hit). you will get a good punchy sound with enough slap and warmth. dont tune the head too low or too high of course.a few turns up from when the head are completely loose is good.

if you are the kind of player who likes keep the beater on the head while playing,you may want to get a 4" hole in your resonant head.this allows air to escape thus you dont get bounce when you kick.

AJ3000

Silver Member
You can alter kick response to a degree by messing with the tuning of your reso head. As a rule, tighter than the batter will give more bounce back, and looser will feel like it digs in more.

Of course this all goes out of the window if you have a hole in your kick reso....

Bertram

Silver Member
Try to tighten the beater head of the bass, and keep the reso head, at the tension you want to get the sound want.

You want more response right? That's what to do then, tghten the spring a little too. And try not to mash the beater into the head after a kick. That's really what I can say