Bass Drum Resonance

I kind of know the answer to this question, but I was hoping some others might be able to weigh in.

I am looking to get a boomier sound in my bass drum (its a 22 x 18 Starclassic Bubinga). I have the stock reso head on it with a 6 inch porthole located in the bottom right and an Aquarian Superkick 2 (2 ply) batter head.

I think the reason why its not that boomy is because of my bass drum technique. When I play, I bury the beater in the head and don't remove it from the head's surface until I'm ready for the next hit. By doing this, I'm getting more of a "thud" than a "boom". Should I hit the head, and have the beater bounce off (similar to how you would play, say, a tom)?

Is this poor technique? It's not so much of an issue in faster songs because the bass drum is more frequent, but in slower songs its a bit more apparent.

Tips? Thoughts?

Wavelength

Platinum Member
Learn to let the beater rebound off the head. You can learn the basics in one evening if you want to, and after that it's easy to develop it as far as you need. Mastering the rebound is the first step toward relaxed and quick playing... and a fatter kick drum sound! Of course, you need to tune the drum to actually resonate for this technique change to have any effect...

Good, thanks for the tip.

Before I come under fire, I should mention that there is a post a few below mine that talks about this already.

**facepalm**

Chonson

Also, next time around try for a 4" or smaller hole - that 6" allows a significant bit of air to escape and will shorten the note of the drum too.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Once you get the technique internalized, perhaps go with a non-ported front head and let it ring!