Bass drum reso heads with brand logos

JDFaulky

I recently purchased a Pearl Decade shell pack a few weeks ago to upgrade my starter Pearl Roadshow set. I love the Decade so far but one thing I'm not a fan of is the bass drum resonant head that came with the kit. I've replaced all the drum heads on this kit with Evans stuff so far except for the bass drum reso head. It has an all white Chinese Remo head on it with a black Pearl logo and a 5 or 6 inch port hole in it. I find the port hole to be a bit too big for my liking (I prefer smaller port holes) and my damn cat likes to climb in there and get inside of my bass drum.

My Roadshow has a black reso head with a white Pearl logo that looks much cooler to me. I cut a 4 inch port hole into the head with a chrome ring around it. I loved the look of that. Something similar with the Amburst finish would look really cool. I know the easy solution would to just go buy a new reso head, like an Evans REMAD with a smaller port hole. However, I really like the Pearl logo on the reso head. I could swap the Roadshow head with the Decade one but the Roadshow head is significantly lesser quality and may affect the sound of my bass drum too much. I'd hate to put a cheap thin reso head on such a better drum kit.

What do you all do when you swap out reso heads on your bass drum but want to keep the brand name (Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, etc) on it? Can I specially order better reso heads with brand logos on them? I would love to throw a REMAD on my set (especially since I have an EMAD Heavyweight on the batter side) but I want that Pearl logo as well. Do I just buy the head I want and slap a logo sticker on it (which may mess with the resonance of the head)? Don't worry about it and throw the old Roadshow reso head on? Stop being stupid and don't worry about the logo? Thoughts?

JDFaulky

You can find bass drum head logos for sale on Ebay. Usually about 5 bucks.
Yeah I saw that, which would be a cheap solution and I could buy the reso head I want, but I'm not sure how much that decal would mess with the sound of my bass drum. Given, people stuff pillows, laundry, towels, etc in them anyway to get less resonance out of it, but slapping a decal would sorta be like taping up/moongeling your heads and not sure how much that would affect the sound. That's my only concern really.

MntnMan62

That's what I did when I changed out the reso head on my Slingerland set. I bought a black single ply Evans head and then bought a white Slingerland decal and put it on myself. Looks great. Sometimes the best solutions to these kinds of things is to do it yourself.

MntnMan62

Yeah I saw that, which would be a cheap solution and I could buy the reso head I want, but I'm not sure how much that decal would mess with the sound of my bass drum. Given, people stuff pillows, laundry, towels, etc in them anyway to get less resonance out of it, but slapping a decal would sorta be like taping up/moongeling your heads and not sure how much that would affect the sound. That's my only concern really.
The decal is so thin I can't imagine it would have that much impact on the sound of your bass drum. Then again, I haven't tested that hypothesis so take what I say with a grain of salt.

johnwesley

Silver Member
It Doesn't affect sound, anymore than the logos from the factory. Most all on Ebay are those that you peal the backing off, place the "decal" where you want it and smooth with a credit card or something similar. Only the lettering is applied. It's NOT like a bumper sticker. I've used tham and they're great.

opentune

Platinum Member
Yeah I saw that, which would be a cheap solution and I could buy the reso head I want, but I'm not sure how much that decal would mess with the sound of my bass drum.
It will affect sound about 10% of nothing.
A decal is the thickness of a piece of tape on a small area of a huge head.

JDFaulky

It Doesn't affect sound, anymore than the logos from the factory. Most all on Ebay are those that you peal the backing off, place the "decal" where you want it and smooth with a credit card or something similar. Only the lettering is applied. It's NOT like a bumper sticker. I've used tham and they're great.
Got it. Sounds like I found my solution.

I just ordered an 8" die cut white Pearl decal on eBay for $6 and I'll run over to my local Guitar Center tomorrow and grab a REMAD and be done with it. Thanks, guys!

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
It will affect sound about 10% of nothing.
A decal is the thickness of a piece of tape on a small area of a huge head.
Oh. I always thought that CC bass drums sounded the best because they had the shortest/smallest logos........

Last edited:

JDFaulky

Oh. I always thought that CC and DW bass drums sounded the best because they had the shortest/smallest logos........

I was worried about this, but honestly I like my bass drum to be tuned low with a big thump, so I kill off resonance with the muffling ring in my EMAD Heavyweight head and the included pillow that came with my Decade set gently resting on the batter head inside. That decal probably won't do much anyway and if so I could just remove the pillow (which I probably will do anyway since I'll have two heads with muffling rings on them).

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I was worried about this, but honestly I like my bass drum to be tuned low with a big thump, so I kill off resonance with the muffling ring in my EMAD Heavyweight head and the included pillow that came with my Decade set gently resting on the batter head inside. That decal probably won't do much anyway and if so I could just remove the pillow (which I probably will do anyway since I'll have two heads with muffling rings on them).
You are correct. I have used those eBay decals. They are great !!

Darth Vater

What were wrong with heads that came on the kit?

Edit: Nevermind. I didn't realize Decade was a budget kit.

Last edited:

johnwesley

Silver Member
$5? What planet are you living on? Usually branded logo heads carry a premium price. Anywhere between $50-$70 depending on size.
Earth. Look 'em up Bo. Guy who posted just bought one. I was wrong. They're 6 bucks. NOT HEADS, but die cut decals to put on plain heads.