Bass drum reso color

Letsgo20

They are 14 x13 and 15 x 14. They absolutely kill, especially with the heavy beech shells. They actually sound pretty good tuned up high also. I just like big drums, always have! Why try to hit a little 10 or 12 with a mic in they way when I can just beat on a 14 and 15? Lolol!!!!

Letsgo20

Yup! In the picture the 15 is actually all the way to the left. So it goes 15-14-16-18. That's how Robinsons original set up for the 1st 2 albums was. And explains some of his fills where he goes from low to high.

J-W

They are 14 x13 and 15 x 14.

I would have guessed them to be square sized as they look deeper than mine. Most of mine are 1" under square also, with the exception of my 6 and 8, which are both 9" deep.

Beautiful kits, both of them. Thanks for the pics of the Ludwigs. I like the chrome on chrome, but I know what you mean by the reflections in the resos. That's what has steered me away from them in the past as well.

RickP

Gold Member
Friends don’t let Friends use black bass drum Reso heads .
I hate the look of black bass drum resonant heads .
smooth white or Fiberskyn are the way to go for me

Letsgo20

Yea if you are set up high enough the chome heads are pretty cool. That way it doesn't reflect the monitors, water bottles, wires etc. I hate that. Like one time a photographer was trying to get some shots of me on the Ludwigsat a concert and later said every shot he took had my guitar players ass reflected from my bass drum. I dont know, I may slap one on the Sonors and repost and see what you all think

KamaK

Platinum Member
I've been debating whether to keep the white reso heads that are on it now, or go to black.

If the kit is going to be under colored lighting, then stick with white. The lighting guy will appreciate it.

Nothing looks more uninteresting under stage lighting than black.

Letsgo20

I agree. I actually really don't like black resos at all, was just looking for others opinions and I'm glad to see I'm not alone in that assessment. Depending on the venue I may throw a chrome starfire on it every now and then, but I think it is gonna stay white for a while

KamaK

Platinum Member
Last note....

When you're at a gig, and you have a surprise special guest that you're supposed to do a cover that you've never heard before, and you have 4 mins to learn the song.....

White heads are a lot easier to write a chart on....

Last edited:

J-W

Last note....

When you're at a gig, and you have a surprise special guest that you're supposed to do a cover with that you've never heard before, and you have 4 mins to learn the song.....

White heads are a lot easier to write a chart on....

But difficult as FU@K to read when it's on the resos. o_O

J-W

I’ll go against the grain and say black...I just prefer it myself...white looks nice though... (y) :D

View attachment 100087

Hmmm.......now you have me on the fence because that looks great too. :unsure: But much of that has to do with those beautiful Premiers........ and in the best color. I don't even see, nor care, about the heads on it.

I think some of it depends on the configuration of the kit. Black resos look too '80's metal cliché, to me on my kit, even though my entire kit is '80's metal cliché. I know, it sounds like a contradiction, but it just puts it over the top in my eyes. If I ever get a halo rack, I'll consider black resos. ;)
As you would say, "Keep smashin' it, mate!" (y)

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I like black front skin on white kit but your kit looks beautiful this way. My kit isn’t pure white, it’s pearlescent white, slightly cream therefore white heads look too whitish, too pure white on it. It doesn't look good.
So my two bass bass drums are wearing black reso.

Attachments

• IMG_4318.jpg
    IMG_4318.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

rocker261

I'd say go with the Remo Starfire Chrome. I'd get them for my white kit, but I've got an 11" tom that I can't get it for, and I want the same head for all the toms. I've got the Chrome on kicks thoughtests and it's killer. The interior of my kit is white, so the clear heads I have on them show white thru them, so sort of like having white resos.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I like a white reso on a dark colored kit and a black reso on a light colored kit. I like the contrast between light/dark out front. For tom resos I prefer clear regardless of color.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I tried some times ago and made a test with a DW Design, I tend to prefer the black front head on this one.
What do you think ? If only the bass hoop was fully painted...

Attachments

• dsgn WHITE AND BLACK.jpg
    dsgn WHITE AND BLACK.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: