Bass drum reso color

Letsgo20

Hey guys. Attached is a picture of my Sonor SQ2 kit at a recent gig. They are big drums( 14, 15, 16, 18, 24). I've been debating whether to keep the white reso heads that are on it now, or go to black. I've researched this but could never find people's opinions for a WHITE kit. Would love to hear everyone's opinion on this! Thanks!

20210118_203844.jpg

C.M. Jones

Like @J-W, I prefer a coated bass reso whenever possible. Black looks fine on certain kits, but coated is universally tasteful.

Letsgo20

Thanks for the above responses! When I got them they had black reso heads on the toms and bass, but for some reason I was just feeling white. Im in a Cars tribute band and definitely did not want a heavy metal look. People who see it thinks it looks great, but they are not drummers. I wanted a drummers viewpoint. Thank you both!

Ransan

Hey guys. Attached is a picture of my Sonor SQ2 kit at a recent gig. They are big drums( 14, 15, 16, 18, 24). I've been debating whether to keep the white reso heads that are on it now, or go to black. I've researched this but could never find people's opinions for a WHITE kit. Would love to hear everyone's opinion on this! Thanks!

View attachment 100071
Nice!
Those rack toms, are a bit long in the tooth.
That being said those cans need a clear bass reso that just screams rock!

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think a black reso head would look way out of place on your set. Like putting graffiti on the statue of David

If you are looking for a change, my suggestion would be the Remo Starfire chrome (not bronze) head.

I absolutely love that reso head for sound (no muffling, 10 mil, and the chrome finish makes it very crisp) and the looks are off the chart. It's mesmerizing for anyone who is watching it in action. I catch people zoning out to it. It's hypnotic.

I had a WMP PDP CX set with a chrome Starfire on the reso. Far and away my most favorite BD reso head

iCe

Keep the white reso. Seen white kits before with black resos and that just looks off IMO.
Love the Starfire suggestion as well, but think the gold Starfire head would look amazing as well

PaisteGuy

I agree with Larryace, I think a Remo starfire would look cool. I’m generally not a fan of black reso’s, and I can’t help but think of Lars Ulrich’s black album era kit, when I see white kits with black reso’s. Although David Robinson had a white kit with black reso in the later half of the 80’s.

Attachments

Letsgo20

Thanks guys. I have a chrome starfire bass reso and tom resos that I had on a chrome ludwig kit that looked pretty cool. Maybe I'll slap one on to see what it looks like

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
First off, those are some sharp looking drums!

As for your question, I'd say since you have white resos on the toms too, the white bass reso really completes the look.

Letsgo20

Thank you! I might just stay with the white. The chrome was cool but a lot of times when I saw the drums in video or picks it just reflected all the junk and wires on the stage, especially if on a short riser. Thanks for all the responses!!

Letsgo20

Thanks Woolwich!! I have another kick for it also that I never use. They really do sound great. Toms sound huge! Think of the song "Dangerous Type" by The Cars. Sounds like those toms on that record

J-W

I have another kick for it also that I never use.
When I saw it, I was thinking "that kit screams for another kick", but since you're in a Cars tribute band, that would be inappropriate.

Got any pics of the chrome Ludwigs? I have considered wrapping mine in chrome for years, but I like the white enough that I'll likely never do it.
Chrome drums with Starfire resos look amazing though.