Bass Drum Protection Debate!

EarthRocker

So, let me start by saying that I use one of the old scool felt beaters, and a strip of duct tape to protect my bass drum head. The duct tape is a lot easier to move than the patches they make (or at least the ones I've tried.) I've never dented a bass drum head this way, and it lets me hear the true tone of the beater bouncing off (or burrying into) the head.

I want to see what kind of whacky ways you guys protect your kick drum heads, so maybe I can try something new. A lot of drummers around here don't use anything at all, but I feel my foot is a bit too strong for that approach!

I want to see what kind of whacky ways you guys protect your kick drum heads...

Here's whacky: Proper monitor rig (including thumper if using ears.)

I rent kits to others, and the only times I've had a drummer put his foot through the head is when he couldn't hear/feel the kick in his monitors, usually due to a undersized or completely missing drum monitor rig.

I don't use a patch to protect the head, I use it to gain attack. I've played with guys that pummel their drums, but don't like the attack, ergo, no patch, no particular head breakage issues. Duct tape is terrible, IMO, the back erodes quickly, exposing the adhesive, which then grabs at the beater.

I'm curious as to why you would need to move the patch

If one is using a felt beater, I don't know why anyone would need a patch (unless they simply just want one for tone purposes).

If one uses a wood beater (or the plastic side of those DW beaters), than yes, a patch is valuable in protecting the life of the head.

I like the thin round protecters that are made by any one of the big 3 head companies.
They come with the PS3 bass heads that I have been buying from Remo as of late.

Am I alone in finding almost ridiculous to think that you could play so hard that the head breaks? I am sure its possible but who has done it?

I have a falam patch on my kicks for the added attack.

Am I alone in finding almost ridiculous to think that you could play so hard that the head breaks? I am sure its possible but who has done it?

I've done it before a few times. It's not so much a matter of playing hard, but of repeated wear. If you hit a head in EXACTLY the same place a couple hundred thousand times, it will eventually wear out.

I've broken two bass drum heads within literally days of using them, just because I was using a plastic beater. Just normal playing. The beater you use evidently makes a huge difference to the life of a bass drum head.

I am using a product now on my head and the same product as a hoop protector from the bass drum pedal. I am embarrassed to say that I cannot remember the forum members name that offered these pieces as a trial. They are like heavy neoprene but not thick. Neither of them has worn a bit and I have had them for over year.

I use the small round patch that Evans packages with their bass drum heads. You can also buy these in packs of two from most dealers. They're called EQ Clear Plastic Bass Drum Patch.. It doesn't really affect the sound of the drum, but it does protect the head. I use either felt of "powder puff" beaters and still use the Evans patches. No matter what material the beater is comprised of, the constant hammering in one exact spot on the head will show wear and tear after a period of time. It's cheap insurance.

Dennis

Why not use one of those adhesive patches that are made for that? I've got one on my bass drum, I don't know what kind it is because the letters have rubbed off,
it's a yellowish woven-looking disk, and it's worked great over a long period of time.

Never use duct tape at all, on anything, except to mark your drum rug.

I've broken two bass drum heads within literally days of using them, just because I was using a plastic beater. Just normal playing. The beater you use evidently makes a huge difference to the life of a bass drum head.

I've heard the plastic beaters get hot from the friction of hitting the head, and as they get hot, they partially melt the head, leading to the head breaking.

First gig, aged about 16, at a party. Right at the start of the first song - woof! - straight through. Guess I was a tad excited. If I remember correctly lots of gaffa tape came to the rescue.

Nowadays I use whatever propriety thing might be on a head when I get it and, failing that, gaffa tape. I use a DW felt beater ATM.

I use the felt side of a DW beater, and nothing on my bass drum head. I can slam the drum, but I come off of it so it can ring true. I've never gone through a head. However, there was one time in my younger days when the I had a freak accident and the beater head broke off of the rod, and before I knew it, the rod went through the head. That sucks when you're 11 because who has money to just go buy another head at that point?

Why not use one of those adhesive patches that are made for that? I've got one on my bass drum, I don't know what kind it is because the letters have rubbed off,
it's a yellowish woven-looking disk, and it's worked great over a long period of time.

That's a Remo Falam Slam, same stuff they make their Kevlar mix marching heads from.

Back