Bass drum pedal with riser and flat bed?

Auspicious

Silver Member
Ok I don't know the right terms but I saw that video from Colin Bailey and I like the engineering of his bass drum pedal, very much.

I was wondering, if some people have experience with these and what would be a good brand for a pedal like that. I like the idea that the foot is supported entirely by the plate, I am thinking about jazz here.

vKY4wvq.png

Ok I don't know the right terms but I saw that video from Colin Bailey and I like the engineering of his bass drum pedal, very much.
Looks like a DW 5000ADS Solid Footboard pedal
.... but his might be an older one. Picture is from 2014 or so. Or it might have been modded. Hard to tell, if his is a single chain or strap. And his footplate lift/hinge is silver, not black.

Attachments

• dw 5000ads.jpg
    dw 5000ads.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
It's not the pedal-it's Collin Bailey-he's so relaxed and makes it looks so easy. He does give great advice about setting up your pedal. He does some great exercises too on DW videos-worth your effort. I use to watch Billy Ward videos of his pedal technique-which he lets that beater swing for an open sound-I did too (the dang beater would swing back and get caught in pants sleeve LOL), but now bury the beater more (no more sleeve issues). But I'm working on backing off beater again now I got my 24 in kick back-damn I forgot how fantastic it sounds. It comes with a lil pillow but I like it wide open with no muffling and backing off the beater just makes such a huge beautiful note. My only problem with Colin's technique is he wears shoes LOL. Playing barefoot separate the men from us hillbilly's who don't wear shoes cause our dogs can't breath.

Last edited:
Here ya go:

It's the DW Joe Morello pedal (90s pedal) basically.

What exactly is going on with this pedal and what's the operating theory on the modification on the foot board thingy?

I hadn't seen this model before!

What exactly is going on with this pedal and what's the operating theory on the modification on the foot board thingy?

I hadn't seen this model before!
I'm not sure of the inspiration behind it. I'm thinking that having the hinge point under the heel allows for more of a rocking motion than having the hinge behind the heel. I really dont know, but it looks interesting.

It caught my attention right away what I saw it.. in my context where my foot stays flat on the pedal (As I learned in books and jazz videos) the full footboard will most likely, propel my heal up automatically during the motion effort.

At least it looks like it.

And frankly, I am ordering Collin's book today, I want to learn more about his bass drum technique, I think it's amazing what he does. I listened to his "art or phrasing" videos yesterday, I like his low volume playing.

Meanwhile, I found his bass drum control book and this video with the pedal.

Originally, I was searching for phrasing on the kit!

Here ya go:

It's the DW Joe Morello pedal (90s pedal) basically.

It's almost it, at some place in his video he says that he uses a strap pedal, he prefers strap over chain. But his sponsor is DW so it must be the same model with strap!

Thanks

It's not the pedal-it's Collin Bailey-he's so relaxed and makes it looks so easy. He does give great advice about setting up your pedal. He does some great exercises too on DW videos-worth your effort. I use to watch Billy Ward videos of his pedal technique-which he lets that beater swing for an open sound-I did too (the dang beater would swing back and get caught in pants sleeve LOL), but now bury the beater more (no more sleeve issues). But I'm working on backing off beater again now I got my 24 in kick back-damn I forgot how fantastic it sounds. It comes with a lil pillow but I like it wide open with no muffling and backing off the beater just makes such a huge beautiful note. My only problem with Colin's technique is he wears shoes LOL. Playing barefoot separate the men from us hillbilly's who don't wear shoes cause our dogs can't breath.

Yes, he is fantastic!

I noticed from my own videos that my knee is a bit too low while in Colin's video, the knee is even a bit ABOVE of the waist or the belt. I want to try that with my current pedal in the next days, perhaps lowering my throne and see how it goes.

UC2b2CB.png

I knew it, they say it on the website: Good for heal-down players, that's me!
5000ADS Solid Footboard Bass Drum Pedal

They also say they can be customized, it's probably possible to ask for one with a strap, it's expensive but the engineering of it is attractive to me.
If you search hard enough, the 90s version had a strap. Look for "DW Joe Morello pedal".

If you search hard enough, the 90s version had a strap. Look for "DW Joe Morello pedal".

I didn't spent time searching at all! that's the beauty of it. :LOL:

I think it was too specialized to invest the efforts and asking would be faster. But more then that, the info in the thread is interesting, It's not wasted bandwidth. :)

But since you ask me to check it out, tonight, I'll search for the 90s version of Joe Morello! I want to see it.

Thanks

I don't know if it's sensory processing issue or what but I don't notice any difference in any pedal with my feet-for the longest time I didn't with my hands either-didn't notice the difference picking up two different sticks-even if one a 7A and the other a 2B. I do "feel" the difference now with my hands-I think practicing rudiments and more cognition of hand activities brought that about. I do rudiments with feet too but still don't "feel" any differences. Though to be honest I don't think my feet feel much of anything-I've can walk on ice, fire, and stick a pin in my foot and nada. I broke two toes playing soccer with my wife on Thanksgiving-turned black and blue-but no pain. Did I mention I suck at soccer?

I don't know if it's sensory processing issue or what but I don't notice any difference in any pedal with my feet-for the longest time I didn't with my hands either-didn't notice the difference picking up two different sticks-even if one a 7A and the other a 2B. I do "feel" the difference now with my hands-I think practicing rudiments and more cognition of hand activities brought that about. I do rudiments with feet too but still don't "feel" any differences. Though to be honest I don't think my feet feel much of anything-I've can walk on ice, fire, and stick a pin in my foot and nada. I broke two toes playing soccer with my wife on Thanksgiving-turned black and blue-but no pain. Did I mention I suck at soccer?

Perhaps because of me, I often explore the contrary of given advises, like thinking one pedal might do a better job or lighter sticks.

I will try to practice the rudiments with the feet, they need it badly, awesome idea. (;

Sorry about your toe story, what a bummer...

Perhaps because of me, I often explore the contrary of given advises, like thinking one pedal might do a better job or lighter sticks.
There is a misconception that better gear makes one a better player. It is both true and false.

It is true when your ability exceeds the ability of the gear. For example, I had to buy a new driveshaft for my double pedal because it was worn and I couldn't do heel/toe doubles with it on the left side. The new driveshaft solved that problem, and now I can work on heel/toe properly.

It is false when ones ability is not where they want it. The new gear will not magically make them a better player. A new drummer will only benefit from better gear if their gear is faulty. The basics can be learned on any gear that functions properly.

That being said, I dont see this specific pedal falling into either category. It's mechanics are different, so definitely worth a try to see if you like it.

I'll tell you what I do to warm up on kick dexterity-play tunes with my foot. Started off with Bolerao, then Will Tell/Lone Ranger, Bonanza, Adams Family, etc. Lots of triplets (galloping triplets) and just dribbling tunes with the beater-much like Colin Bailey. If you get on ground and take your finger you'll feel the pedal sweet spot-you can take your finger and diddle out about anything like a typewriter. You can adjust beater length and you'll feel that adjustment with your finger (there's another sweet spot). Now use your toe or toe pads on spot and play either heel down or up. If you watch Colin he's heel down except fast, finesse stuff his heel raises up a bit-he shifts his fulcrum and direction of force-you titer toter raising your heel. Just like if I sit in a chair flat footed I can tap out anything with up and down motion, but raise my foot and point my toes my whole fulcrum shifts and I can do same thing much faster and adept with mostly small downward movements.

Back