Bass drum pedal hitting screw.

Copeland

I've been fighting this effing pedal for four days now. I can't get footplate to stop hitting the claw screw when I stomp a beat. I have raised the footplate, but then it causes angle of the beater to go waaaayy back to like 70 degrees. And then it still hits the screw when I stomp, but just less so. I think ideal is like 45 degrees right? Anyway, the best I can do is to get the footplate to smack the claw screw at the same time as the drum head, which still produces an audible "click." I will try to post photos but the photo size limit on this site is ridiculously small. This is a Ludwig factory pedal that came with my new Ludwig Evolution Maple 6-piece kit.

Ronzo

Strange!
Maybe decrease the angle of beater slightly so it strikes head before hitting screw.
There has to be a comfort zone between pedal angle and beater angle.
Sorry but that’s my best guess.

Copeland

Also. Look at red arrow. There are two screws like this, are these just for anchoring the pedal? They turn into spikes under the pedal when I screw them in .

Attachments

Noisy

Could it be that the front of the drum is raised too high and leaning toward the pedal?

The front of the drum should be just a bit above ground level, so the lugs and hoop aren’t touching the ground.

Just a guess here...maybe a combination of strange angles or something? The cam looks like it is almost touching the batter head.

Copeland

Well let me rephrase that. Raising the bass drum helped. But it's just BARELY hitting the screw, but enough that I can still hear it. Just not as bad as before. And I still cant lower the footplate to improve my beater angle.

D

Deleted member 525878

Can the footboard angle be adjusted upwards slightly?

D

Deleted member 525878

Oops, sorry, you mentioned that. Maybe another T-screw?

D

Deleted member 525878

Oops, sorry, you mentioned that. Maybe another T-screw?

Copeland

I'm gonna try to insert cardboard on the drum hoop and see if that helps by requiring the screw to not have to fasten as much.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm gonna try to insert cardboard on the drum hoop and see if that helps by requiring the screw to not have to fasten as much.
That won’t help because the size of the T screw doesn’t change. It’s just there to make the clamp work. I agree the T-screw looks too big. But I’d also re-adjust and bring the beater back a little more, which raises the pedal up a bit.

Noisy

The beater is slightly offset from the pedal. If you loosen the clamp, slide the pedal to the left an inch to where the beater hits the center of the batter head, and then tighten to where the clamp (I meant that big screw head) is perpendicular to the pedal board, does that give more clearance?

Yeah, that thing does look like a drum key...

Last edited:

SYMBOLIC DEATH

What about loosening the clamp a 1/4 turn so the the wing isn't hitting the pedal? You don't have to clamp the pedal to the hoop too much.

The other answer is because it's a Ludwig pedal. 😁

Runs and hides.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Shorten the chain. There are two (2) points of attachment:
1. The slot in the side of the cam
2. Under the footboard

There is a good chance you can undo the one under the footboard and make an adjustment there. If not, remove a link at the top. It wont effect your beater angle at all.

If you do this then decrease your beater angle, you may run into this problem again. If you adjust your beater angle first, you can then adjust the chain accordingly.