BASS DRUM / PEDAL HELP?

sparky88

The problem I am having with my bass Drum is resistance on my acoustic. On my Yamaha Electric DTX kit I nail all my beats. On my acoustic Kit I seem to be faltering? I used to be able to nail beats on both Kits, but my acoustic beats seemed to have weakened on the foot. I tried adjusting my spring and pedal. I got the same Pedal for both Kits DW 5000. I do play the acoustic Kit more than the Electric and I play in my socks, no shoes. What kind on tension should I have on the Bass Drum Head. Any Tips on this would be appreciated.
Thanks, Great Site!
Sparky

I also have a DW5000 on one kit and some old Pearl on another and some old Sonor pedal on another.

I bought the DW5000 pedal without due diligence - I knew that some of my favorite players use DW pedals. :)

I've been disappointed in the DW5000 pedal - I've gone through two of the bearings the spring connects to and have had a difficult time getting replacement bearings. And it can be loud and squeaky.

But my real issue is trying to play with some sort of dynamic control with these pedals. I have to keep a lot of pressure on the pedal to keep it close to the head for quiet notes. I don't have this problem with the Pearl or Sonor pedals.

For what it's worth...

The problem I am having with my bass Drum is resistance on my acoustic. On my Yamaha Electric DTX kit I nail all my beats. On my acoustic Kit I seem to be faltering? I used to be able to nail beats on both Kits, but my acoustic beats seemed to have weakened on the foot. I tried adjusting my spring and pedal. I got the same Pedal for both Kits DW 5000. I do play the acoustic Kit more than the Electric and I play in my socks, no shoes. What kind on tension should I have on the Bass Drum Head. Any Tips on this would be appreciated.
Thanks, Great Site!
Sparky

sparky88

I'm may have some insight to this, myself. I bought the DW5000 last year and have been using it on my electric Kit. Today I switch the Pedals between my acoustic kit and Electric kit. The one on my acoustic kit is about 8 years old. I noticed a few differences between the two pedals even though the are both DW5000's. The newer on has a red bar to the bearings, the older one is chrome, and at the bottom of the Pedal is says "Drummers choice" the older one says "USA" other that I heave not made any adjustments to the stock settings. Do the bearing go bad or get worn? The newer Pedal is much better to play with hitting the triplets.

Thanks for your reply.

Sparky

veggo32

Silver Member
hi, depending on the music you are playing i would recommend puresound speedball beaters. i believe they come in felt....? I replaced my eliminator quads just recently and I'm very pleased with these (felt). Mind you I don't play hard rock, but if your looking for a kick sound with nice focused punch these will do the trick. I'm running an sk1 batter with ps3 ported ebony reso if that helps.
My batter is tuned up a bit higher than normal, imo you have to treat the sk1's this way in order to get them to sing. Also i get a perfect response with my pedal at this tuning.