Bass Drum Mounted Floor Tom Tom... WHAT!?

SGT_Drummer

Maybe I'm slow at catching on, but recently in the video's I've been watching religiously I've noticed a new 'big thing'... I think.

The video Bernhard posted about a month ago of Marco Minneman, there is what looks like a Bass Drum Mounted as a Tom Tom on his left side. Then on the Tony Royster Jr. video for the Drum Channel named "Ten Minutes" he has one on the left side and another on the right. (Both of these videos are on Youtube)

So my question is... what the hell is that thing? Is it actually a bass drum mounted as a Tom? Or is some new fangled Floor Tom I've never heard of before? I've also noticed that there are no resonant heads on these drums. There aren't even lugs to mount a reso head, unless I missed something.

Now, despite my interest in these drums, I have to say quite honestly I think they are retarded. I had to watch these videos several times before I could actually pick out the specific sound from one (I finally caught the sound on Marco Minneman's song "Jackhammer". it's the video with them all in space suits (space suits? really?)). It sounds like a bass drum... being hit with a stick... someone please tell me why!?

dwsabianguy

That's called a Gong Drum, it's supposed to offer a sound somewhat similar to a timpani, but it's really more of a tribal "thunk" - Marco introduced the idea to DW, and they've offered them for a few years now. Neil Peart used them when he played Tama (I think he used two at one point), and Mike Portnoy has used one since the Purple Monster. Simon Phillips is also known to use one in addition to his floor toms.

Tama invented the Gong Drum some time in the 1980s, and here's their take:

An early TAMA original, the Gong Bass Drum features a 22" head on a 20" shell with no bottom head. This design produces a sound with excellent sustain that's close in character to a concert tympani.

SGT_Drummer

An early TAMA original, the Gong Bass Drum features a 22" head on a 20" shell with no bottom head. This design produces a sound with excellent sustain that's close in character to a concert tympani.
ahh ok. except they want to think about retracting that quote as the only time i've been able to distinctly pick out a gong bass drum it had the resonance of cardboard.

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
I see gong drums fairly often in peoples setups etc but I've only ever seen a few where people use a larger heads than the drum. What's the difference between the two?