Bass Drum Mic Stand Recommendations

single-ply

What do you guys like? Hate? I need to get one that'll be used occasionally. I can't really tell which brands are worthless or perhaps overkill from the web sites.

Thanks!

kanefsky

Yes, the K&M is great, kind of industry standard. But as someone mentioned in another thread, do yourself a favour and check out the Kelly Shu mounts.
I considered that but in my case I don't like having a hole in my reso head and I also have more than one kit and I want to be able to switch them as easily as possible.

--
Steve

hippy chip

Silver Member
The K&M is a fine stand, but the tripod is a bit bulky, and tends to get kicked out of position---I use this On-Stage model that goes for about $20, works just as well and doesn't stick out so far from the drum!

Last edited:

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I mentioned this in a post not too long ago. It's perfect for full reso heads since you don't need the adjustability of getting the mic in the drum. It also adds very little weight to your hardware bag unlike the cast-based stuff. They're $20 or so and I've been very pleased with mine. I like the Shu stuff and have made several of my own, but with the kit I've been using a lot lately, there is no room to install one. It's a Ludwig Giglite 20"x8". This would probably work perfectly for you.

Attachments

M

Matt Bo Eder

In my ported bass drum, there's usually an army blanket in it. I just lay an SM57 on it pointing at the batter head. Close enough for my dive bar bands.

kanefsky

The K&M is a fine stand, but the tripod is a bit bulky, and tends to get kicked out of position---I use this On-Stage model that goes for about $20, works just as well and doesn't stick out so far from the drum!
One thing I like about the K&M stand is that I can put the tripod to the side of the bass drum and extend the boom to position the mic in front of the drum. So it actually takes up *less* space in front of the drum, where I have barely any room to spare between the front of the bass drum and an equipment rack.

--
Steve

WallyY

Platinum Member
I use what the hippy uses, and it will go all the way into the drum without toppling over.

And plus, it's short.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I use what the hippy uses, and it will go all the way into the drum without toppling over.

And plus, it's short.
It's a non-ported reso head though. That amount of adjustment is not necessary. That is a great stand for that purpose though.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I have home-made kellyshu arrangements in three of my bass drums. The cables come through a vent hole at the top and the plug tucks in behind a lug. I have three mics, permanently installed.

But I also have a spare 52 and a short boom stand for other people's kits. I like the short boom with a tripod because it folds down small and light. The heavy base ones are indeed heavy to carry around.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I have home-made kellyshu arrangements in three of my bass drums. The cables come through a vent hole at the top and the plug tucks in behind a lug. I have three mics, permanently installed.
Wow. I'd like to see a photo of this setup.

I use a round Atlas base with an On-Stage mini boom arm. I like it 'cuz it allows me to place the mic almost anywhere inside the drum.

Attachments

lsits

Gold Member
I've had better luck using a stand with a cast iron base. With the exception of my K&M full-size stand that I use for vocals, I don't use ones with the tripod legs.

steverok

Silver Member

I have this one. Seems perfect to me.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
All K&M here, especially for live where its one of the few stands that can take extensive touring.

In the studio I also use a no brand smaller, lower kick mic stand with a heavy round bass.