Bass drum hoop protectors

Mustion

These always seemed to me to be overkill, like those rubber pads that people strap to their car bumpers to protect them from scratches; but I did just get a brand new bass drum hoop for a floor tom conversion project and since it's so nice and new and fresh I now feel compelled to protect it from potential pedal rash. Does anybody have a favorite brand? I went to Sam Ash today but couldn't bring myself to spend $7 on a sticky piece of neoprene (DRUMnBASE). I would prefer one that is metal but so far all I can find is the Pearl one which requires drilling a screw into the hoop... any others to look for?

I was searching for one last year to keep my new USA Custom hoop looking pristine. I was surprised that there wasn't an obvious choice or two, but I never really found a consensus "best" protector. In the end, I bought a DW9000 pedal that has nice rubber clamps so it's no longer a concern.

The upper-ended Pearls come with this metal protector that actually gets screwed on with a small set screw. It works really well (other than the hole, and it comes with skateboard grip tape that the pedal clamps onto and that helps keep the pedal clamped on. I forget the part number, but someone on another forum said he was able to order it as an after-market part from Pearl. He was excited to get them!

A piece of thick leather work just fine, just fold it over the hoop!

I buy a three-pack of moleskin at the drug store, use one of the pads on the head itself to protect it from the beater/extend the head's life, and the other on the hoop, to protect it from the pedal. (Leaving me with one leftover to give to my kid for his birthday as a joke.)

some one on this site probably 8 or more years ago was testing a new product and sent me one and it is still in fantastic shape. wish I could remember. Anyway I'm sure it's neoprene, and a thin mouse pad would work great.

I buy a three-pack of moleskin at the drug store, use one of the pads on the head itself to protect it from the beater/extend the head's life, and the other on the hoop, to protect it from the pedal. (Leaving me with one leftover to give to my kid for his birthday as a joke.)
Great idea- I might use some moleskin on one of my BD hoops.

I bought a 1” wide roll of adhesive velcro. I put a 2” strip of the hook side on the hoop. It works better than anything I have ever used. Even wasting the fastener side, it’s cheaper than any specifically made product.

I have Hoop Savers on 3 of my bass drums. They cost more, but they're genuine leather and look really nice.

You can find them on Ebay.

7RZgyVY.png

The Pearl one can be used without the screw. It might stay on perfectly if the hoop thickness is right, or it might need a bit of bending/tweaking. Has the advantage of no sticky glue peeling off the lacquer.

The Pearl one can be used without the screw. It might stay on perfectly if the hoop thickness is right, or it might need a bit of bending/tweaking. Has the advantage of no sticky glue peeling off the lacquer.

So it will just hold on by friction? It's inexpensive enough that it's probably worth a try.

Great idea- I might use some moleskin on one of my BD hoops.
I recently applied moleskin (Walmart's Equate brand- very cheap and thin) on my bass drum practice pad where the pedal attaches. The pad would squeak when playing due to the slight separation that occurs between the pedal and the pad's bottom "hoop" area, but the moleskin has eliminate this separation and squeak. Enough cushion to fill in the gap and muffle vibrations-- inexpensive and easy to remove.
Next moleskin application- bass drum hoop where more expensive type hoop protector just failed and fell off.

Holey Moley! Thanks to this suggestion from GretchedHive.

These always seemed to me to be overkill, like those rubber pads that people strap to their car bumpers to protect them from scratches; but I did just get a brand new bass drum hoop for a floor tom conversion project and since it's so nice and new and fresh I now feel compelled to protect it from potential pedal rash. Does anybody have a favorite brand? I went to Sam Ash today but couldn't bring myself to spend $7 on a sticky piece of neoprene (DRUMnBASE). I would prefer one that is metal but so far all I can find is the Pearl one which requires drilling a screw into the hoop... any others to look for?
Pearl metal bass drum hoop protector is great. I use them and they are way better then the other brands. I don't use the screws to attach. You can bend the metal to fit nice and it will not move. Love them. Don't use screws.

Pearl metal bass drum hoop protector is great. I use them and they are way better then the other brands. I don't use the screws to attach. You can bend the metal to fit nice and it will not move. Love them. Don't use screws.
+1 to the Pearl one.
I have put them on every wood hoop I have owned in the last 25 years. Siimple and brilliant. No need for the screw.

Similar to above suggestion about cutting a mouse pad....I've always used one of those rubber-grippy circles that you use to help open a jar. (That IS the technical name, right?)

I wrap it around hoop when I attach pedal. It keeps the pedal pretty secure and prevents hoop rash even though it's pretty thin. I keep a few extras in my bag in case one gets lost somewhere.

Back